From: Justin C on
I'm needing to add a second samba server to our network. The first
server handles network logins, and is the domain master. Can someone
point me to some documentation on how to get the second server to either
accept a user who has logged in on the domain master, or how to get the
second server to accept a login? Both machines are on the same subnet.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Justin C on
In article <1731.4938fc5c.53b76(a)zem>, Justin C wrote:
> I'm needing to add a second samba server to our network. The first
> server handles network logins, and is the domain master. Can someone
> point me to some documentation on how to get the second server to either
> accept a user who has logged in on the domain master, or how to get the
> second server to accept a login? Both machines are on the same subnet.

Problem solved.

For anyone interested the solution was to set the 'security' line of the smb.conf file to:
security = server

and follow that with the line (both of these in the [global] section):
password server = [server]

The second samba server (the machine with the above in it's smb.conf) interrogates the password server - my primary samba server - (in this one I have "domain logons = yes" and "domain master = yes") with the username and password you give. If that server authenticates the information then you get access to the shares you are entitled to on the second server.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.