From: philo on
ANONYMOUS wrote:

> philo wrote:
>

>> The 32bit version of XP can use about 3.25 gigs of ram
>>
>> check your machine specs to see how much RAM the laptop can support
>

> Have you got similar facts handy about 32 bit of Vista?

The OS does not matter it's a function of all 32bit operating systems

the exception is PAE (Google for it)

If one needs large amounts of RAM

then a 64bit OS is the way to go
From: Jose on
On Jan 28, 6:23 pm, "Toni" <Ton...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Laptop with Windows XP Pro, 1.66GHz/Duo  with 2G of RAM.
>
> If I upgrade to 4G RAM - is it always good to upgrade WinXP from 2G to 4G RAM?
>
> Can anyone tell me if there a noticeable hit to battery life? Any downside anyone can
> share?
>
> Thanks!!!

Do what makes sense for you and you environment so the end result will
not leave any questions.

If you have the means ($$$), put in 4GB into your unspecified system.
Then you will know that you have the best you can possibly have.

If you are a general purpose computer user eliminate the questions.

You will never have to wonder if you need more or if adding more will
make your system faster or work "better". It will be physically
impossible for things to be better concerning the amount of much
memory in your system if you have the maximum supported.

No discussion, no what ifs, no might be, no could be, no maybe, no
might need it, no might not need it, nothing to download, nothing to
install, nothing to run, nothing to interpret or monitor, etc.

From: db on
I agree with your response.

it is not for us to determine
how the o.p. will use their
computer.

the upside would be
if the computer had the
available slots for adding
more ram "or"

the downside would be
if the chips the o.p. has
now would have to be
replaced.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Twayne on
In news:edUYtDHoKHA.1556(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Toni <Toni24(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> Laptop with Windows XP Pro, 1.66GHz/Duo with 2G of RAM.
>
> If I upgrade to 4G RAM - is it always good to upgrade WinXP from 2G
> to 4G RAM?
> Can anyone tell me if there a noticeable hit to battery life? Any
> downside anyone can share?
>
> Thanks!!!

No, it will not impact the BIOS battery life in any way and would be
negligible to a UPS's numbers.

2G is likely enough; it depends on what you do. There are many pagefile
monitors available that you can run and watch to see if your pagefile is
ever maxed out. Task Manager isn't a good indicator for this because it not
only requires RAM space, which skews the numbers, but it doesn't clearly and
concisely pinpoint actual pagefile usage; such has to be deduced and then
isn't accurate depending on WHEN you look at it.

These links should help you out:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5073570.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/XP-Page-File-Monitor.shtml

HTH,

Twayne

From: Unknown on
Laptop battery, not the BIOS battery.
"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:edUYtDHoKHA.1556(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
> Toni <Toni24(a)yahoo.com> typed:
>> Laptop with Windows XP Pro, 1.66GHz/Duo with 2G of RAM.
>>
>> If I upgrade to 4G RAM - is it always good to upgrade WinXP from 2G
>> to 4G RAM?
>> Can anyone tell me if there a noticeable hit to battery life? Any
>> downside anyone can share?
>>
>> Thanks!!!
>
> No, it will not impact the BIOS battery life in any way and would be
> negligible to a UPS's numbers.
>
> 2G is likely enough; it depends on what you do. There are many pagefile
> monitors available that you can run and watch to see if your pagefile is
> ever maxed out. Task Manager isn't a good indicator for this because it
> not only requires RAM space, which skews the numbers, but it doesn't
> clearly and concisely pinpoint actual pagefile usage; such has to be
> deduced and then isn't accurate depending on WHEN you look at it.
>
> These links should help you out:
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5073570.html
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223
>
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/XP-Page-File-Monitor.shtml