From: Toni on
"Toni"wrote...
> Laptop with Windows XP Pro, 1.66GHz/Duo with 2G of RAM.
>
> If I upgrade to 4G RAM - is it always good to upgrade WinXP from 2G to 4G RAM?
>
> Can anyone tell me if there a noticeable hit to battery life? Any downside anyone can
> share?
>
> Thanks!!!

Follow-up...

Went from 2G to 4G RAM (of course, XP shows only 3.24G available), and after testing
reduced my swap file setting from 2G/4G to 1.5G/1.5G.

Laptop is NOTICEABLY FASTER!!! Max swap file usage never goes above 12% and is normally
at 2%. RAM usage has never gone above 56%.

Oddly enough, battery life seems to be improved?!?!?!? It must be that accessing the
extra RAM is more efficient than hard disk usage for the swap file - never thought of
that!

Toni

From: Tim Slattery on
"Toni" <Toni(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>Went from 2G to 4G RAM (of course, XP shows only 3.24G available), and after testing
>reduced my swap file setting from 2G/4G to 1.5G/1.5G.

>Laptop is NOTICEABLY FASTER!!! Max swap file usage never goes above 12% and is normally
>at 2%. RAM usage has never gone above 56%.

>Oddly enough, battery life seems to be improved?!?!?!? It must be that accessing the
>extra RAM is more efficient than hard disk usage for the swap file - never thought of
>that!

I can easily believe that operating the disk takes more juice than
reading/writing RAM.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov