From: Jon Lewis on
Hi, I'm looking for an Address parsing algorithm in VB6/VBA, preferably for
UK addresses. I want to replicate what Microsoft Outlook does if you paste
an complete address in the address field of a Contact record when the Check
Details box pops up with an estimated parsing into Street, City, Region etc.
(Have Googled to no avail.)

TIA

From: MikeD on

"Jon Lewis" <jon.lewis(a)cutthespambtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking for an Address parsing algorithm in VB6/VBA, preferably
> for UK addresses. I want to replicate what Microsoft Outlook does if you
> paste an complete address in the address field of a Contact record when
> the Check Details box pops up with an estimated parsing into Street, City,
> Region etc. (Have Googled to no avail.)

What have you tried to do so far on your own? What problem(s) are you
encountering?

--
Mike

From: Jon Lewis on
No problems as such. I'm refering to the logic required to parse a single
address text string into street, city, region, post code etc. Just seeing
if I can find a ready made algorithm before attempting to write my own.

Jon

From: Paul Shapiro on
There won't be an easy answer. Even if you assume that all entries are
correctly formatted, the allowed variations are too big to make this easy.
There are commercial applications that do this nicely, but they were pricy
the last time I looked. With the advent of web services, maybe some of these
have more reasonably priced subscriptions now. You can search for "address
correction software".

From: Jon Lewis on
I know it's not easy logic and I'm not bothered with data cleasing - I just
need an algorithm to use for splitting a chunk of Contact data from say a
web page to paste into a database of separate address fields via a check
form (like the Outlook form described in my original post). I thought that
Outlook's method may have been replicated though I'm not too hopeful!