From: Andre Adams Andre on
Hey guys,

I just had Office 2007 installed on my machine. Along with this came Access
2007, as you would guess. I had everything in working order on Access 2003
and I'm not exactly sure as to where to start in this new system. For
starters, I have priviledges set for each on of my users including myself.
The way I controlled this n the individual user desktops and mapped them to a
destination on my C:drive where all the information was held. Now since
Access 2007, that mapping address has changed. I would change the address to
reflect this but the target is greyed out.

What is it that I need to do to correct this, and what further advise would
you give me for converting my knowledge of 2003 to 2007?

Thanks.

From: Stefan Hoffmann on
hi Andre,

On 21.04.2010 20:28, Andre Adams wrote:
> I just had Office 2007 installed on my machine. Along with this came Access
> 2007, as you would guess. I had everything in working order on Access 2003
> and I'm not exactly sure as to where to start in this new system. For
> starters, I have priviledges set for each on of my users including myself.
> The way I controlled this n the individual user desktops and mapped them to a
> destination on my C:drive where all the information was held. Now since
> Access 2007, that mapping address has changed. I would change the address to
> reflect this but the target is greyed out.
Sorry, can you clarify this a little bit more?

mfG
--> stefan <--
From: a a r o n . k e m p f on
Access 2007 (format) doesn't support security, so I would just try to
remove the security altogether

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Access 2007 (format) doesn't support security, so I would just try to
>remove the security altogether

What Aaron is trynig to say is that the new Access ACCDB type of Access file format
does not support user level security. Although Access 2007 does still support ULS in
the MDB type of Access file format.

That said Andre's situation does not at all sound like ULS is being used in the first
place so Aaron's answer is irrelevant.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Andre Adams <Andre Adams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just had Office 2007 installed on my machine. Along with this came Access
>2007, as you would guess. I had everything in working order on Access 2003
>and I'm not exactly sure as to where to start in this new system. For
>starters, I have priviledges set for each on of my users including myself.
>The way I controlled this n the individual user desktops and mapped them to a
>destination on my C:drive where all the information was held. Now since
>Access 2007, that mapping address has changed. I would change the address to
>reflect this but the target is greyed out.

Do you have a file server on your network somwhere? Can you place the Access file(s)
on the server?

Have you split the Access file into a front end and back end file? If not you want
to split the MDB into a Front End MDB containing the queries, forms, reports, macros
and modules with just the tables and relationships in the Back End MDB. The FE is
copied to each network users computer. The FE MDB is linked to the tables in the
back end MDB which resides on a server. You make updates to the FE MDB and
distribute them to the users, likely as an MDE.

See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/ for more info. See the free Auto FE
Updater utility at http://www.autofeupdater.com/ to make the distribution of new FEs
relatively painless.. The utility also supports Terminal Server/Citrix quite
nicely.
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: TYPE MISMATCH
Next: Repeat Corruption Of Database File