From: Westbrook on
Using Windows XP Pro SP3

The Properties button is grayed out for all protocol, service, and client
items on the Network Connections Properties sheet.

I am part of the Administrator group, and I have even tried logging in as
Administrator without success.

I looked at MMC and opened the Local Gropu Policy editor.

Looking at Console Root\Local Computer Policy\User
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections

All states are "Not configured"

As far as I can tell, if all states are "Not configured", the XP
Administrator group should have access to the Properties button on the
Network Connections Properties dialog.

This was working at one time, as I was able to set a fixed IP for this
system. Now I can't change it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

From: Westbrook on

"Westbrook" wrote:

> Using Windows XP Pro SP3
>
> The Properties button is grayed out for all protocol, service, and client
> items on the Network Connections Properties sheet.
>
> I am part of the Administrator group, and I have even tried logging in as
> Administrator without success.
>
> I looked at MMC and opened the Local Gropu Policy editor.
>
> Looking at Console Root\Local Computer Policy\User
> Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections
>
> All states are "Not configured"
>
> As far as I can tell, if all states are "Not configured", the XP
> Administrator group should have access to the Properties button on the
> Network Connections Properties dialog.
>
> This was working at one time, as I was able to set a fixed IP for this
> system. Now I can't change it.
>
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, found the solution elsewhere.

Here it is.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
3. Right-click this subkey, click Export, and then save the selected
branch in a file.
4. Click the Network subkey again, and then delete the Config entry. Do
not delete the Network subkey. The Config entry will be reconstructed when
you restart the computer.
5. Restart the computer. You may have to manually turn off the computer.

There was also some useful information at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826 but I was not able to fix the problem
with the information contained there.