From: Ron Patterson on

When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
account - just administator - and used no passwords. That is the way it is
on other two hard drives. For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
to log in. Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
"Ron Patterson"

In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
Guest - "Guest account is off"
Asp Net Machine - Limited Account

When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson. But when I try to
run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges. I
thought I was the administrator. I try to find an administrator account to
log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
apparently I am not. Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
delete) this program which is very important to me. I am very confused.

Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
programs? - or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.

Ron Patterson

From: William B. Lurie on
Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
> account - just administator - and used no passwords. That is the way it is
> on other two hard drives. For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
> to log in. Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
> "Ron Patterson"
>
> In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
> Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
> Guest - "Guest account is off"
> Asp Net Machine - Limited Account
>
> When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson. But when I try to
> run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges. I
> thought I was the administrator. I try to find an administrator account to
> log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
> apparently I am not. Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
> delete) this program which is very important to me. I am very confused.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
> programs? - or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.
>
> Ron Patterson

I'm no expert, and one of them will surely get back to you
on this. But I found that, to act as the TRUE Administrator, I
had to boot up in Safe Mode. Then the genu-wine Asministrator
capabilities come into being.
From: John John - MVP on
Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
> account - just administator - and used no passwords. That is the way it is
> on other two hard drives. For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
> to log in. Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
> "Ron Patterson"
>
> In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
> Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
> Guest - "Guest account is off"
> Asp Net Machine - Limited Account
>
> When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson. But when I try to
> run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges. I
> thought I was the administrator. I try to find an administrator account to
> log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
> apparently I am not. Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
> delete) this program which is very important to me. I am very confused.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
> programs? - or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.

XP Home - Logon in Safe Mode
XP Pro - Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice at the logon screen

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
To copy a user profile

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291555
The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is Unavailable

John

Pages: 1
Prev: Access as Administrator
Next: malware crisis