From: MartinC on
Tim Lance wrote:

> Any help? Thanks.

It's a common nuisance that new programs tend to "grab" certain file types
without asking, and there's little to prevent this. The only thing that you
can do is to set it back manually.

You could do it in the "get info" box using the "always open with..." button
but I found this sometimes unreliable.

However, there is a nice pref panel called RCDefaultApp that always did it
for me:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

You may need to try several of the tabs and look for all file types one by
one, depending on what Adobe did in the first place.

Start with filename extensions and if it doesn't work you may need to dig
into MIME-types, URLs or even UTIs, depending on how deep Adobe was diving.

From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <8b3g0iF3jaU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Tim Lance <nope(a)nada.com>
wrote:

> I have a lot of music on my computer: MP3, M4A (both AAC & ALAC), some FLAC.
> Used to be their icons were the usual from the OS. Also, their "Open with"
> was, and still is, iTunes, excepting for the FLAC which was/is Cog. Also, the
> first two were of course playable in Finder/Preview mode. The FLACs not able
> to be.
>
> So I get CS5 and the trouble starts. (I had CS3 without the issue.) In
> Finder, every time I open a folder of such files, Finder has to take it's
> merry time changing the icons to Adobe Soundbooth! (Also, the icons don't
> "stick." Each time a file shows the icon has to do the change.) More,
> clicking one file then has Finder loading it into memory just in case I want
> to play in Finder/Preview. (It did that with the non-FLACs, too, previously,
> but resources weren't also going to the icon changing.) If I make default not
> to show the Preview that helps some, but overall I'd rather have the Preview.
>
> Now I can play FLACs in Finder/Preview. Big whup. To do that previously you
> had to have installed Fluke, and/or before that there used to be a plugin,
> way back in the day.
>
> In GetInfo Open with (& always open with and make same for all of this type)
> iTunes shows and works for both MP3 and M4A. Likewise Cog for FLAC. So,
> whatever changed it wasn't simple enough for me to discern.
>
> But something ain't right somewhere in these files and it's driving me nuts.
> I have a networked 2 TB drive almost full of music. It takes several minutes
> now to get a listing of some huge directories.
>
> Any help? Thanks.

Apple deprecated application owner metadata with OS X so this is a
common problem. In Finder you can select "Open with..." and then
there's a checkbox to set the owning application. That works, of course,
until an app changes the ownership again.

You may have icon previews turned on in Finder. Turn it off everywhere!
It bogs down the system and some of the preview generators will cause
temporary system corruption.

Go to the Spotlight preferences and turn off indexing for anything you
don't need it on. Adobe may have installed slow Spotlight indexing
components.

Time Machine can have backup components installed too. I'm not sure how
to disable them.

Apple is the new Microsoft.
From: David Ryeburn on
wrote:

> So I get CS5 and the trouble starts. (I had CS3 without the issue.) In
> Finder, every time I open a folder of such files, Finder has to take it's
> merry time changing the icons to Adobe Soundbooth

Here's a radical suggestion. Compress Adobe Soundbooth (so that, if and when
you want it, you can get it back). Trash Adobe Soundbooth (but not its
support files) and empty the Trash. Restart.

David

--
David Ryeburn
david_ryeburn(a)telus.netz