From: Aussie Rules on
Hi,
I have a adrotator control on a page, and want to program the connection of
the control via SQL.

I have the following code which doesn't seem to do much, and not sure what
else to do?

Dim SQLServerConnection As SqlConnection
Dim SqlConnectionCls As New clsSQL
SQLServerConnection = SqlConnectionCls.Connect

Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand

With SqlCommand
.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
.Connection = SQLServerConnection
.CommandTimeout = 15
.CommandText = "sproc_GetAddDetails"
End With

Me.AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand

AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "advert_image"
AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "advert_URLlink"

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Jun 4, 9:31 pm, "Aussie Rules" <AussieRu...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a adrotator control on a page, and want to program the connection of
> the control via SQL.
>
> I have the following code which doesn't seem to do much, and not sure what
> else to do?
>
> Dim SQLServerConnection As SqlConnection
> Dim SqlConnectionCls As New clsSQL
> SQLServerConnection = SqlConnectionCls.Connect
>
> Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand
>
> With SqlCommand
> .CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
> .Connection = SQLServerConnection
> .CommandTimeout = 15
> .CommandText = "sproc_GetAddDetails"
> End With
>
> Me.AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand
>
> AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "advert_image"
> AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "advert_URLlink"

I think you forgot to get the data

AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand.ExecuteReader

From: Steven Cheng[MSFT] on
Hi Aussie,

As Alexey has suggested, for SqlCommand object, after you initialize it,
you can call the "ExecuteReader" method (for select ) to return a
SqlDataReadere object. You can loop all the records in the resultset
through DataReader

#Retrieving Data Using a C# .NET DataReader
http://www.akadia.com/services/dotnet_data_reader.html

and for ASP.NET complex databound control, you can directly assign the
DataReader object to their "DataSource" property and call "DataBind" method
to perform databinding. e.g.

==============
SqlCommand comm;

SqlDataReader reader = comm.ExecuteReader();
AdRotator1.DataSource = reader;
AdRotator1.DataBind();
===================

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

From: Aussie Rules on
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am still not able to get this to work. My code is as follows. When I view
source of the HTML page, there are no values for the adrotator at all.
The Stored Proc works fine.

I can't see whats wrong......

Try

Dim SQLServerConnection As SqlConnection
Dim SqlConnectionCls As New clsSQL
SQLServerConnection = SqlConnectionCls.Connect
Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand

With SqlCommand

.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
.Connection = SQLServerConnection
.CommandTimeout = 15
.CommandText = "sproc_GetBannerAdvertDetails"

End With

' I have swapped these arround and tried, but not working. I have put the
image/navurl after the databind.

AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "advert_image"
AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "advert_URLlink"
AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand.ExecuteReader
AdRotator1.DataBind()

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Jun 5, 7:26 pm, "Aussie Rules" <AussieRu...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I am still not able to get this to work. My code is as follows. When I view
> source of the HTML page, there are no values for the adrotator at all.
> The Stored Proc works fine.
>
> I can't see whats wrong......

Aussie,

get rid of the try..catch block, I think you will see what is wrong.

Hope it helps