From: John K. Herreshoff on
What's the trick to getting it to run? Mysql does not want to run either...
Akonadi won't run without mysql up and running.

John.

--
Using the White Box.
From: John K. Herreshoff on
John K. Herreshoff wrote:

> What's the trick to getting it to run? Mysql does not want to run
> either... Akonadi won't run without mysql up and running.
>
> John.

Got it. mysql_install_db, then do a chown at /var/lib/mysql to mysql.mysql.

Still no Akonadi.

Sheesh.

John.

--
Using the White Box.
From: Chick Tower on
On 2010-05-28, John K. Herreshoff <nope(a)not.here> wrote:
> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
>
>> What's the trick to getting it to run? Mysql does not want to run
>> either... Akonadi won't run without mysql up and running.
>
> Got it. mysql_install_db, then do a chown at /var/lib/mysql to mysql.mysql.
>

> Still no Akonadi.

We should all be so lucky.
--
Chick Tower

For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net
From: John K. Herreshoff on
Chick Tower wrote:

> On 2010-05-28, John K. Herreshoff <nope(a)not.here> wrote:
>> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
>>
>>> What's the trick to getting it to run? Mysql does not want to run
>>> either... Akonadi won't run without mysql up and running.
>>
>> Got it. mysql_install_db, then do a chown at /var/lib/mysql to
>> mysql.mysql.
>>

>> Still no Akonadi.
>
> We should all be so lucky.

Yeah, I guess. I'm running 13.1 on this one box, and the other two are
still on 12.2, mainly because of KDE-4.x and it's continuing birthing
problems.

I did get akonadi to start by wiping everything kde in my home directory, so
there is something that it does not like from KDE-4.3.4, which I built and
installed after removing KDE-4.3.2.

Wiping my home just to get something to run is not worth it in my book.

One upgrades to get new or better functionality, not new bells and whistles.
I cannot understand why I want to upgrade the other slack boxes that I have
here. I want KDE 3.5.x, or maybe KDE 5.x.x, but not 4.x.x, based on my
experiences with 4.x.x.

I'll goof with slack 13.1 on this box until I need it for something, or I
grow weary of the pain.

John.

--
Using the White Box.
From: Loki Harfagr on
Fri, 28 May 2010 13:55:02 -0400, John K. Herreshoff did cat :

> Chick Tower wrote:

>>> Got it. mysql_install_db, then do a chown at /var/lib/mysql to
>>> mysql.mysql.
>>>

>>> Still no Akonadi.
>>
>> We should all be so lucky.
>
> Yeah, I guess. I'm running 13.1 on this one box, and the other two are
> still on 12.2, mainly because of KDE-4.x and it's continuing birthing
> problems.
>
> I did get akonadi to start by wiping everything kde in my home
> directory, so there is something that it does not like from KDE-4.3.4,
> which I built and installed after removing KDE-4.3.2.
>
> Wiping my home just to get something to run is not worth it in my book.

I second this opinion, but the problem lies in the desktop manager choice
not in the distro, trouble is most kde tools and libs are good while the
'portage/intergration/update process' is deeply tainted by crystals OD.

> One upgrades to get new or better functionality, not new bells and
> whistles. I cannot understand why I want to upgrade the other slack
> boxes that I have here. I want KDE 3.5.x, or maybe KDE 5.x.x, but not
> 4.x.x, based on my experiences with 4.x.x.

kinder, geniesst den 4.x, der 5.x wird fürchterlich ,-)

> I'll goof with slack 13.1 on this box until I need it for something, or
> I grow weary of the pain.
>
> John.

what about the simple men path?
removepkg akonadi-1.3.1-x86_64-1