From: notbob on
My whole system went wacky immediately following loss of DSL
connection at PPaP modom (motorola). The main symptom was both emacs
and mc suddenly were taking 1-2 mins to boot up, even from tty. I
thought maybe hardware failure, but X and kde apps booted jes fine. I
didn't think to down my eth0 card, so don't know how that would have
affected it. I tried stracing emacs, but 1-1/2 hrs passed and emacs
still hadn't booted!

Finally, when DSL service was restored, emacs suddenly had no lag
after invoking (I didn't reboot). Top, which didn't have a lag when
booting showed CPU was below 50% total during wacky DSL loss. What
the hell was that all about?

nb
From: Eef Hartman on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> after invoking (I didn't reboot). Top, which didn't have a lag when
> booting showed CPU was below 50% total during wacky DSL loss. What
> the hell was that all about?

In top, look at the percentage "%wa" (Waiting for I/O to finish) when
you got a problem like that, often the cpu is then just waiting because
other hardware doesn't come up with the requested data "in time".
Normally %wa should be below 5 %, but I've had problems with it
going up as high as 60% (which just means the cpu is waiting 60%
of its time and not doing all that much).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **