From: Kenneth Tilton on
Lisp + qooxdoo + jsMath: http://teamalgebra.com/

There several problems on this page:

(1) ironically, a missing disclaimer that the /editor/ is just starting
to get ported to the Web from Tcl/Tk so don't veer too far from the
examples.

(2) "Lesson Structure" is blank (but the structure itself is obvious

(3) See how some examples are annotated? They all are, only most do not
appear.

(4) I need help on the jsMath/TeX to get the red bar not to take up any
space (it's throwing off the kerning)

Anyway: click on each yellow box in turn and type exactly the characters
shown, as guided by the legend. Eventually you'll be able to type pretty
easily the simple stuff, enough for Algebra One, anyway.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."

From: Kenneth Tilton on
Ooops. Only on Windows. Investigating.

kt

From: Tim Bradshaw on
On 2010-06-14 03:15:05 +0100, Kenneth Tilton said:

> (4) I need help on the jsMath/TeX to get the red bar not to take up any
> space (it's throwing off the kerning)

I don't know if jsMath supports this, but the TeX way to make something
take no horizontal space is \llap or \rlap: \llap makes a zero-width
box with its contents aligned against the right end of it, which means
they overlap to the left, and \rlap does the same but aligned against
the left end, so it overlaps to the right. It does appear on very
slight investigation that jSMath supports this.

I only played very slightly with the web thing but it makes working
noises - looks pretty cool. I disagree with the "automatic
exponentiation" thing.

From: Kenneth Tilton on
Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> On 2010-06-14 03:15:05 +0100, Kenneth Tilton said:
>
>> (4) I need help on the jsMath/TeX to get the red bar not to take up any
>> space (it's throwing off the kerning)
>
> I don't know if jsMath supports this, but the TeX way to make something
> take no horizontal space is \llap or \rlap: \llap makes a zero-width box
> with its contents aligned against the right end of it, which means they
> overlap to the left, and \rlap does the same but aligned against the
> left end, so it overlaps to the right. It does appear on very slight
> investigation that jSMath supports this.

Thx. Yeah, the author Davide gave me this:

\\smash{\\rlap{\\kern-.1em\\color{red}{\\vert}}}

But I may have messed with it and broken it. I'll check with him.

> I only played very slightly with the web thing but it makes working
> noises - looks pretty cool.

Thx. That means (no surprise) you have jsMath fonts installed. I just
added fallback fonts to the server to support non-installees.

> I disagree with the "automatic
> exponentiation" thing.

What do you want to have happen if you type "x" and then "2"? Leave it
as an implied product "x2"? How about the sequence "(x-2)2"? Also an
implied product?

Meanwhile, wow, jsMath has changed my life. Thx for the heads up. I knew
there was a reason I hang out with the yobbos in this group. This is
also where I learned about qooxdoo. Sadly, no introduction yet to Anna
Kournikova*.

kt

* Playing Wimbledon this year!!

From: Tim Bradshaw on
On 2010-06-14 11:51:03 +0100, Kenneth Tilton said:

> What do you want to have happen if you type "x" and then "2"? Leave it
> as an implied product "x2"? How about the sequence "(x-2)2"? Also an
> implied product?

yes I think so. I'd expect to type x^y to get, well, x^y, for any x
and y I think. However I'm probably not your target audience, because
I'm perverted by years of typing at TeX (albeit most of those years are
a long time ago now...). Anyway, there's the germ of a good thing
there I think.