From: Martin Brown on
On 26/07/2010 22:37, john1987 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am monitoring the voltage across the resistor and needs to maintain
> it steady at set point value. Let�s suppose if the set point value is
> 100 volts peak to peak and if the voltage goes below this value or
> above this value than I have to make MOSFETS turn ON and OFF using
> pulse width modulation to keep the voltage steady.
>
> Right now, I am reading the voltage across the coil and doing �if
> else� statements to see whether the voltage is right and make
> adjustments accordingly.

What coil? And this is AC so you can only sample around the peaks.

> My question is
>
> Is this algorithm of using �if else� algorithm is enough or should I
> be controlling the voltage using like control algorithm like PID
> controller etc.

It depends critically on the load. If the load current is likely to vary
suddenly or is non-linear with applied voltage like a filament then you
are probably better off with a PID using control based on whatever it is
you actually want controlled out of the other end.

Until you decide how closely you *need* the thing regulated your
question is impossible to answer. How noisy is the line? etc.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Robert Baer on
john1987 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am monitoring the voltage across the resistor and needs to maintain
> it steady at set point value. Let�s suppose if the set point value is
> 100 volts peak to peak and if the voltage goes below this value or
> above this value than I have to make MOSFETS turn ON and OFF using
> pulse width modulation to keep the voltage steady.
>
> Right now, I am reading the voltage across the coil and doing �if
> else� statements to see whether the voltage is right and make
> adjustments accordingly.
>

> My question is
>
> Is this algorithm of using �if else� algorithm is enough or should I
> be controlling the voltage using like control algorithm like PID
> controller etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> john
Isn't this bass-ackwards?
Constant voltage power supplies are almost as common as dirt.
"Peak-to-peak"???
That hints of AC.
Well, a constant AC voltage can also be had; not exactly as common as
a DC constant voltage as one might presume at the start of the question.
In either event, turning a supply on and off certainly does not lend
to a result that could, by any stretch of imagination, as being "constant".

From: john1987 on
Hi,

The other important question that I have is that how can I calculate
that how fast my digital system can response to the input. What I
meant to say that the ADC on the micro. detects the voltage across the
ressitor or coil and then increase or decrease the current
accordingly. I just do need to know that what parameters I need to
take into account to keep the feed back loop reacts as fast as
possible while designing it. I want to calculate it before I start
building the system.

Thanks

John

From: JosephKK on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:44:35 -0400, ehsjr <ehsjr(a)nospamverizon.net>
wrote:

>Tim Wescott wrote:
>> On 07/26/2010 02:37 PM, john1987 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am monitoring the voltage across the resistor and needs to maintain
>>> it steady at set point value. Let�s suppose if the set point value is
>>> 100 volts peak to peak and if the voltage goes below this value or
>>> above this value than I have to make MOSFETS turn ON and OFF using
>>> pulse width modulation to keep the voltage steady.
>>>
>>> Right now, I am reading the voltage across the coil and doing �if
>>> else� statements to see whether the voltage is right and make
>>> adjustments accordingly.
>>>

>>> My question is
>>>
>>> Is this algorithm of using �if else� algorithm is enough or should I
>>> be controlling the voltage using like control algorithm like PID
>>> controller etc.
>>

>> Depending on what "make adjustments accordingly" translates to, you're
>> working on something that might work.
>>
>> Do a PID, get it right, and you'll be working on something that _will_
>> work. Assuming, of course, that all the rest of the system is right --
>> but if the rest of the system is screwed up, then some oddball hybrid
>> bang-bang controller is going to have less of a chance at it than even a
>> simple PID controller.
>>
>> While it lasts: dpm1480.pbworks.com/f/PID%20without%20a%20PhD.pdf.
>>
>> eetimes.com has moved things around; they've put all the interesting
>> stuff behind an email harvester. Dang!!
>>

>Nice article. Repeating your link:
>
>http://dpm1480.pbworks.com/f/PID%20without%20a%20PhD.pdf
>
>Ed

Days later and it works for me. Sasved a copy.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Spice model for 6N139
Next: RC filter selection