From: john1987 on
Hi,

I am monitoring the voltage across the resistor and needs to maintain
it steady at set point value. Let’s suppose if the set point value is
100 volts peak to peak and if the voltage goes below this value or
above this value than I have to make MOSFETS turn ON and OFF using
pulse width modulation to keep the voltage steady.

Right now, I am reading the voltage across the coil and doing “if
else” statements to see whether the voltage is right and make
adjustments accordingly.

My question is

Is this algorithm of using “if else” algorithm is enough or should I
be controlling the voltage using like control algorithm like PID
controller etc.

Regards,

john
From: Richard Henry on
On Jul 26, 2:37 pm, john1987 <conphil...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am monitoring the voltage across the resistor and needs to maintain
> it steady at set point value. Let’s suppose if the set point value is
> 100 volts peak to peak and if the voltage goes below this value or
> above this value than I have to make MOSFETS turn ON and OFF using
> pulse width modulation to keep the voltage steady.
>
> Right now, I am reading the voltage across the coil and doing “if
> else” statements to see whether the voltage is right and make
> adjustments accordingly.
>
> My question is
>
> Is this algorithm of using “if else” algorithm is enough or should I
> be controlling the voltage using like control algorithm like PID
> controller etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> john

What capability does you hardware have?
From: john1987 on
Hi,

The microprocessor has an 12 BIT, 400Ksps ADC and four I/O ports
available. It's clock is 50MHz. Is that what you wanted to know.
Please let me know.

Thanks
John

From: Martin Riddle on

"john1987" <conphiloso(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The microprocessor has an 12 BIT, 400Ksps ADC and four I/O ports
> available. It's clock is 50MHz. Is that what you wanted to know.
> Please let me know.
>

> Thanks
> John

I did a PID in a cygnal 8051 micro once, It can work. You'll have to
figure out what bandwidth you need.
Your probably looking at a 2-3 kHz of bandwidth that the PID can work in
with a 50 mhz core clock.
Get a book on PID algorithms.

Cheers

From: john1987 on
Hi,

I guessed that I should have asked this question in the beginning that
what advantage the PID would have over just if else implementation?

John

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Spice model for 6N139