From: Twayne on
In news:79DD118A-8F3F-4CD7-9590-0FAB2F89BAD1(a)microsoft.com,
Bazsl <Bazsl(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> My daughter has an XP Home machine that is behaving
> strangely to the point that it is unusable. There are a
> number of symptoms including slow performance but one of
> the most annoying is that when she types a URL into IE she
> is always redirected to another Web site. My first
> assumption was a virus but she has a current version of
> McAfee installed.
>
> Any suggestions about how to diagnose and fix this problem?
> I realize I have provided very little information. If you
> need more details let me know what you need and I will try
> to get it. Thanks.

Yes. Make sure McAfee is updated, then run it again in its most thorough
mode.
McAfee (or any AV) not finding anything does NOT mean the machine isn't
compromised n some other way. You also need to run at least 3 anti spyware
programs. If you don't know what they are, ask here; there at lots of good
ones out there and some really bad ones you want to be sure to avoid.

HTH,

Twayne`