From: Kevin on
Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations on the best way of allowing an app
to work either for a specific user or all users.

Up to now all of my apps have been set to install with all users of the
computer having access to them and their data files. I put the data in
the shared data area. There have been one or two which have been user
specific, that is only the person that installs the program has access
to it and the data files. Here I put the data in the users data folder.
I have never need to create the app where it might be installed specific
to a user or for All Users.

The installation program can be used to put the files in the appropriate
location. But what is the best way of handling it in VO? There are a few
options I can see:

1. Set a registry key which specifies the path to the data files.
2. Use a config file in the programs data folder to store the path.
3. When the program starts check the ALL USERS folder and then, if
needed, the user folder.

What way do you handle this sort of thing?

If you store a value in the registry to specify the chosen option, do
you put it in the ALL USERS hive or the specific user? Or do you just
check the ALL USERS hive and then the user one?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kevin

From: Geoff Schaller on
Kevin,

I think you're on the right track.

Firstly we use domain logins and domain groups to establish "rights" to
functionality (but that has to be defined by the business) and then
common data goes into the shared user data folder and private data to
users data folder.

But under SQL you are constrained to user rights and privileges and this
is still best handled with sql server users based on domain accounts.

Geoff

From: Kevin on
Geoff,

My question was more to do with how you the VO application to handle the
possibility.

With SQL the user rights would control the access so unless a user has
the right access information they cannot get at the data.

What if the program is not using SQL and the client does not want the
program to use SQL?

Correct me if I am wrong, but a domain would set up the paths and as
such the program has the same set up for the users and the program does
not need to change the path based on user. That is my understanding,
probably simplified.

But if the data files are to be stored locally, potentially different
files for each user, what is the best way for the program to check for
this? For example, if the program is installed for ALL USERS then the
path is the COMMON Documents folder. But if it is installed for a single
user then it is the users document folder. My question is more how to
code the VO app to check this. I can get one path or the other but how
when the app starts does it determine which to use?

The pseudo code below will hopefully make it clearer what I am trying to
figure out.

Kevin

App start
Determine if ALL USER or current user --> What is the best way to do
this
If All USER installation
Get ALL USERS path
Else
Get current user path
Endif

From: Ginny Caughey on
Kevin,

I think the short answer is, if the user doesn't want SQL, the user doesn't
really care about security so it doesn't matter.

I agree with Geoff and use domain groups to determine access for clients who
are interested in managing security. For the others, the same app itself
provides very basic menu level access based on the user and the rights given
them, but IMO this is not secure against a determined threat. Either way, on
top of my own app's security structure based on menu access, the SQL Server
provides or denies access based on whether group security is set up for the
server. If somebody doesn't have access, I just trap the error that SQL
Server throws when they try to access data they are not entitled to.

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Massimo Bighelli on
Kevin,

in addition to your pseudo-code, what I should do...

INSTALL START
ASK if ALL USER or current user
IF ALL USERS
create database in ALLUSERSPATH
write in MyConfig.DBF (exe-path) the databasepath
ELSE
create database in CURRENTUSERPATH
write in MyConfig.DBF (exe-path) the databasepath
ENDIF

APP START
read from MyConfig.dbf the path
set the database path