From: Dave Cohen on
Eric wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:28:36 +0200, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2010 22:25, Eric wrote:
>>> I've noticed that most Canon cameras use their "Digic 4" processor.
>>> Presumably that is powering their image stabilization. If so, it seems
>>> logical that the IS in all their digital cameras would be equally
>>> effective (or ineffective, as the case may be).
>> No, the IS is done in the lens, without help from the camera. A recent
>> lens will du as much good on an old camera body with a "lesser"
>> processor than on the shiny new ones with the latest processing marvel.
>>
>>> Does anyone know more about this? Any other brands have more
>>> effective IS systems?
>> There are basically two kinds of stabilization: lens-based (Canon,
>> Nikon, Panasonic, plus Tamron and Sigma for lenses) as described above
>> and sensor-based (sensor is moved behind the lens)(Pentax, Olympus...).
>> In currently available cameras, the so-called "software" stabilization
>> is likely pushing the ISOs to crank up the shutter speed (there are
>> de-shake algorithms, including some that are based on acceleration
>> measurement) but I doubt they can run on the processors found in
>> entry-level cameras (and the other cameras already have one of the two
>> "hardware" IS).
>>
>>> BTW, one of the reasons that I ask: I've had a Canon SLR zoom lens for
>>> quite a while, and the image stabilization was great. Seems to be some
>>> kind of intertial-sensing mechanism though--almost a gyro feel to it.
>>> Obviously the P&S digitals are doing this in software.
>> No, they use lens-based or sensor-based IS. But the accelerometers are
>> really tiny chips, not gyroscopes. The "gyro feel" is really from the IS
>> lens mechanism, when it's big.
>>
>>> My first test
>>> of their digital IS was with an SD1200. It seemed to do almost
>>> nothing.
>> Check the specs, it's a lens-based IS (but on a tiny lens)
>
> That makes sense. I got the original info from two different Canon
> techs who said that the IS system was related to their Digic 4 chip,
> and that therefore the IS in all their digital cameras would be the
> same. In fact, one of the very knowledgable SLR guys had me on hold
> for a while to confirm that with another (a third) tech.
>
> Your comments sound logical, and that would make some sense of why the
> IS systems seemed different (ie nonexistent) in the SD1200.
>
> The next logical question is: How much difference is there between the
> IS in the SX120 and the G11? Those are the two cameras I had been
> considering. I just got to try them briefly, and it's difficult to
> discern the finer points in a short test in a camera store.

I can't speak for the SD1200, but the IS on the A3100 definitely works.
Any stabilization is better than nothing and most of us spent many years
without such a luxury. I wouldn't worry too much in selecting between
the models you're looking at.
From: Peter on
"SneakyP" <48umofa02(a)WHITELISTONLYsneakemail.com> wrote in message
> Eric <Eric(a)sorry---nospam---.com> wrote in
>

>> The next logical question is: How much difference is there between the
>> IS in the SX120 and the G11? Those are the two cameras I had been
>> considering. I just got to try them briefly, and it's difficult to
>> discern the finer points in a short test in a camera store.
>>

> Take your own memory storage device and use that in those two cameras, or
> use two separate memories to test the cameras for whatever you want to
> test
> for.
>

> Then go home and compare the photos you took with both cameras.

Good suggestion:
One test I like to do is shoot a brick wall at various zoom lengths and
ISOs. Then shoot some known solid colors with defined edges.

--
Peter

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2