From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-06-13 8:40 a.m., Peter Foldes wrote:

> You can start by abandoning W2000 and going to another OS like
> XP,Vista,Win7. You
> will not be able to update your W2K since most updates excluding
> Security Updates
> has been removed by MS in accordance with the agreement between
> themselves and SUN
> Microsystems.

This agreement only ever affected updates to Microsoft Java.

Windows 2000 is very close to end of extended support, so it should be upgraded,
but any problems with installing updates (other than MS Java updates) are
certainly not related to Sun.

It should still be possible, at the very least, to download and install updates
for Windows 2000 from the Microsoft Download Center.

Harry.

This has come into effect as of Oct 2009 and since then

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-06-13 11:30 a.m., Peter Foldes wrote:

> With 90 Updates for W2K the OP has no more than SP2. Since my W2K was
> always updated there was only 103 updates including security fixes for
> W2K after SP2 (inclSP3 and SP4). As of last Oct you are not able to
> download any of the W2K Service Packs and install them. They still show
> but when you start downloading any one of them you find out real quick
> that it does not work.

I've just downloaded the Windows 2000 SP4 network installer (from the download
center) without any difficulty. Are you talking about the Windows Update web
site in particular?

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston