From: terryc on
MS has done it again, but this time it is screwing its own customers.

I'm helping a neighbour setup an old computer as a network "server" and
he wants to use windows 7 on this box. Trouble is that according to the
on-screen bumf, only other Windows7 computers can join this "homenetwork".

Basically, how do you change the settings on win7 so other MS OS
computers (vista,xp, etc) can join the network.

T.I.A.
From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
terryc wrote:
> MS has done it again, but this time it is screwing its own customers.
>
> I'm helping a neighbour setup an old computer as a network "server" and
> he wants to use windows 7 on this box. Trouble is that according to the
> on-screen bumf, only other Windows7 computers can join this "homenetwork".
>
> Basically, how do you change the settings on win7 so other MS OS
> computers (vista,xp, etc) can join the network.
>
> T.I.A.
just make everything workgroup and it works by adding the others
From: Fred on

"terryc" <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote in message
> MS has done it again, but this time it is screwing its own customers.
>
> I'm helping a neighbour setup an old computer as a network "server" and
> he wants to use windows 7 on this box. Trouble is that according to the
> on-screen bumf, only other Windows7 computers can join this "homenetwork".
>
> Basically, how do you change the settings on win7 so other MS OS
> computers (vista,xp, etc) can join the network.
>
> T.I.A.

Click Start - Help and Support
Type "home network" as a search query.

Follow the instructions for "Setting up a home network" paying particular
attention to "Network Discovery"

From: terryc on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 18:58:54 +0930, Fred wrote:

> Follow the instructions for "Setting up a home network" paying
> particular attention to "Network Discovery"

Thanks found all that and it worked.
Boxen has now been dispatched back to owner to site as a headless server,
although why they just didn't stick the sole hard disk into one on the
other computers and share it beats me.