From: Ron Hardin on
What's a good alternate DNS server?

Embarq (or whatever they're calling themselves now) is having a lot of problems.

I need to write it down for such occasions.

Google search is, for the moment, out of the question; but my news server I link
by IP address, so here I am.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Ben Myers on
On 7/27/2010 10:08 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> What's a good alternate DNS server?
>
> Embarq (or whatever they're calling themselves now) is having a lot of problems.
>
> I need to write it down for such occasions.
>
> Google search is, for the moment, out of the question; but my news server I link
> by IP address, so here I am.

The Google Public DNS IP addresses are as follows:

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

Have you tried these? ... Ben Myers

From: Daddy on
On 7/27/2010 10:08 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> What's a good alternate DNS server?
>
> Embarq (or whatever they're calling themselves now) is having a lot of problems.
>
> I need to write it down for such occasions.
>
> Google search is, for the moment, out of the question; but my news server I link
> by IP address, so here I am.

Define "good".

If "good" includes speed, try Namebench. It looks for the fastest DNS
servers available for your computer, using a thorough benchmark to
provide an individualized recommendation. Namebench is completely free
and does not modify your system in any way.
http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

You may also find that a "good" DNS server today may not be so good
tomorrow.

--
Daddy