From: J G White on

Hi - new here!

Using MS Project 2003, I would like to "link" two tasks on a project. I
am fully familiar with traditional task linking (predecessors,
successors, FS, SF, FF, SS relationships, etc.), but I want to do
something slightly different!

Basically, I use a VB script in my project to trawl between tasks using
the predecessor relationship. Ideally however, I only want the script to
traverse certain predecessors. The logic of which predecessors to follow
and which to not follow is not always straight forward or consistent.

At the moment, I get around this by duplicating tasks - the script logic
is then fairly simple as I can effectively "split" the predecessors. The
downside is the project itself is over-complicated, and therefore hard
to understand and modify. I don�t like it!

I tried using the hyperlink field - that initially seemed to be another
way of "linking" tasks together, but I found quickly that if I insert a
new task somewhere, all the hyperlink references did not update! e.g. if
the hyperlink pointed to task #10, and I inserted a new task at #5, the
hyperlink still points to #10 instead of to #11.

Any suggestions?

--
J G White
J G White's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228052.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Rod Gill on
Hi,

I think the only way you can achieve this is by using a Text field then
copy all Unique ID Predecessors. You can then delete the unique ID of any
tasks you do not want to be followed.

Use Activeproject.Tasks.UniqueID(index) to get the Task from the Text1
string.
--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5170 (20100603) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: J G White on

That looks perfect - thanks! I didn't realise how the unique-id field
worked previously ...