From: Martin Krischik on
Am 24.03.2010, 21:00 Uhr, schrieb Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com>:

> Otherwise, I still smell an interpreted
> "language".

As I already pointed out: I only say it is an interpreted *language* if
the majority of *implementations* are interpreted. There are two different
overlapping groups but they are not identical.

Martin
--
Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik on
Am 25.03.2010, 14:45 Uhr, schrieb Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com>:

> The fact that it was _popular_ means you have to deal with it
> when making statements about the language's performance.

It was never as popular as Turbo Pascal. I can think of 2 p-code pascals:
The original With pascal and USCS Pascal. I can think of five which
compile native: Kyan Pascal, Oregon Pascal, GNU-Pascal, Free-Pascal and
last but most important one: Turbo Pascal now Delphi. The sales and use of
the later probably dwarfing the combined rest.

And that is out of the top of my head without google research. You are
just plain wrong. Pascal was not designed as an interpreted language, most
implementations are not interpreted the most popular implementation is not
interpreted. You can turn in any way you like - the result is always the
same: Pascal is not an interpreted language.

Regards

Martin
--
Martin Krischik
From: blmblm on
(Setting follow-ups back to the original cross-posting, since
I don't read comp.lang.ada .... )

In article <Xns9D4482A264D8BWarrensBlatherings(a)188.40.43.245>,
Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> balson expounded in news:4BA8BA91.4050905(a)cherrystonesoftware.com:
>
> > Andrea Taverna wrote:
> >> Hi folks!
> > [snip]
> >> In the past I used C, but now I have decided to change language.
> >> I'm looking for a "better" one.

[ snip ]

> > IOW, stay away from the likes of Java, C#, Pascal. Unless you
> > have a
> > very specific reason for going in that direction. Your performance
> > will suffer.
> > Jim
>
> I don't think many people would be surprised by these results.
> After all Java, C# and Pascal (variants) are still largely
> interpreted languages, even if they use some sort of compiled
> intermediate code.

It's my impression that most/all current implementations of Java
do "just-in-time" compiling (of the compiled intermediate code)
to native code, and if that's true (certainly true of some of
them), does the language really count as "interpreted"? Just
sayin', maybe.

> But each "tool" has its own place in the toolbox.

Can't disagree with that, though!

--
B. L. Massingill
From: Warren on
blmblm(a)myrealbox.com expounded in news:8143krF7lhU1(a)mid.individual.net:
>> > IOW, stay away from the likes of Java, C#, Pascal. Unless you
>> > have a
>> > very specific reason for going in that direction. Your performance
>> > will suffer.
>> > Jim
>>
>> I don't think many people would be surprised by these results.
>> After all Java, C# and Pascal (variants) are still largely
>> interpreted languages, even if they use some sort of compiled
>> intermediate code.
>
> It's my impression that most/all current implementations of Java
> do "just-in-time" compiling (of the compiled intermediate code)
> to native code, and if that's true (certainly true of some of
> them), does the language really count as "interpreted"? Just
> sayin', maybe.

The "JIT" business is just a distraction IMO. Before any
"compilation" occurs, something else (the interpreter) is
orchestrating things. Even the JIT "sections of code" are
invoked on the behalf of byte code by the "monitoring"
process (i.e. the interpreter).

So unless you can get rid of that "managing process", you still
have what used to be called a "monitor process", that is outside
of the O/S. IOW, an interpreter. In CP/M, the monitor was the
O/S ;) but I digress.

Warren
From: Warren on
Martin Krischik expounded in

> Am 25.03.2010, 14:45 Uhr, schrieb Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com>:
>
>> The fact that it was _popular_ means you have to deal with it
>> when making statements about the language's performance.
>
> It was never as popular as Turbo Pascal. I can think of 2 p-code
> pascals: The original With pascal and USCS Pascal. I can think of
> five which compile native...
>
> Martin

It was never a popularity contest ;-) The fact that people
see it as "popular" (whether first place or last), means that
a mention of Pascal needs to be a qualified one.

Warren