From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Jim Balson wrote:

|"[..] |
| |
|If we were to add another language to our benchmarks, Pascal would be the|
|logical choice." |

FORTRAN-77 code on a good machine would be faster if no heap usage is needed.

|" And we may do it at some point in the future. We're certainly |
|going to add many more algorithms to the testing as time permits." |

Good.
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Robert Love wrote:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"On 2009-07-22 09:10:01 -0500, Colin Paul Gloster said: |
| |
|> I do not know. Some hints... |
|> FORTRAN influence: |
|> Robert B. Love |
|> Subject: Re: Loss of Mars Climate Orbiter due to units of measurment conflicts|
|> Date: 1999/10/02 |
|> <6C26F727ACB69543.66B23092D324DEF8.14EA2C28DF27855B(a)lp.airnews.net>#1/1 |
|> comp.lang.ada |
| |
|Boy, it is weird seeing your name cited from a decade old message. I don't |
|remember what I said." |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have had this effect on people. If you want to remind yourself you
could try copying the Message-ID into the bottom of
HTTP://groups.Google.com/advanced_search?q=&

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"[..] |
|[..] Strange, the space program still seems to be using feet and nautical |
|miles." |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

People fail to learn.
From: Andrew Haley on
In comp.programming Adam Beneschan <adam(a)irvine.com> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2:27?pm, p...(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>
>> > True. ?But P-code was for student use, not production, especially not
>> > production in an application where execution time was critical.
>>
>> This is wrong.
>>
>> P-code was designed, and used, exactly like the JVM is today. ?There
>> even were developed processors that executed directly P-code, natively,
>> like we have JVM implemented in hardware too.
>
> I think Patrick is essentially correct; the Wikipedia entry for "UCSD
> Pascal" says:
>
> "The University of California, San Diego Institute for Information
> Systems developed it in 1978 to provide students with a common
> operating system that could run on any of the then available
> microcomputers as well as campus DEC PDP-11 minicomputers."

I think there's some confusion here. UCSD Pascal was not the origin
of Pascal P-code: the compiler that generated P-code was the 1973
Zurich P-compiler, part of the P-kit. The idea was for the user
either to write an interpeter or modify the source of the P-compiler
and replace its code-generaring routines. However, according to
Wirth, "the reluctance of many to proceed beyond the interpretive
scheme also gave rise to Pascal's classification as a 'slow language,'
restricted to use in teaching."

Andrew.

N. Wirth, Recollections about the development of Pascal
HOPL-II
Pages: 97-120
ISBN:0-201-89502-1

From: Martin Krischik on
Am 24.03.2010, 22:36 Uhr, schrieb Adam Beneschan <adam(a)irvine.com>:

> Those Pascal compilers are
> readily available,

Right I remember - I had one for my Atari 800 (Kyan Pascal
http://www.atarimagazines.com/v4n7/kyanpascal.html). It created 6502
machine code which was as fast as it get on an 8bit system.

Martin
--
Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik on
Am 24.03.2010, 17:57 Uhr, schrieb Adam Beneschan <adam(a)irvine.com>:

> So it's executed by an interpreter. That doesn't make the *language*
> compiled into p-code an INTERPRETED LANGUAGE, which is what we were
> talking about---not any old "interpreter".

My personal definition is that a language is interpreted if the majority
of implementations use an interpreter. And Pascal would not be among the
list.

Martin

--
Martin Krischik