From: Adam on
Jonathan L. Parker wrote:
>> What brands (or suppliers) of refill kits have worked better for you?
>> Are there any I should avoid?
>
> In recent years I've pretty much gone with what I can find locally.

Thanks for your advice, Jonathan. It sounds like it boils down to
availability and personal preference (and, as Art mentioned, type of ink).

Adam
From: Adam on
Arthur Entlich wrote:

>> [The HP Deskjet D1430] uses the HP 21 black and HP 22 tricolor ink
>> cartridges, which apparently are infamous for their high cost per page.
>>
>> So... I have two questions. One, since the printhead is part of the
>> cartridge, does that mean that if I manage to wreck a printhead, all I
>> have to do is buy a new cartridge?
>>
> Yes, but they don't come cheap, as you know.

Well, that depends on how often I have to buy one. ;-)

> The reason these heads are
> replaced with each cartridge replacement is because they are not
> designed to last very long. People report anything from one to ten
> refills with HP cartridges.

I didn't realize that, but that's something important to remember. That
means I'll still have to buy an occasional HP cartridge. Well, at least
they're easy to find, and I suppose I'll want to use one for the few
things that require the best print quality.

> There aren't too many remanufactured options with these printers. HP has
> "discouraged" retailers from selling them, although a few big box stores
> may still carry some.

The only likely stores around here would be Staples, Office Depot, or
Best Buy. Maybe Wal-Mart. I'll have to check them. I wouldn't expect
to find any at, say, Target or K-Mart. I should check their websites --
if it's not on their website, there's no way it would be in their store.

> There are kits for home refilling, but try to get
> one that qualifies the ink as specific to your printer if possible
> rather than a generic ink, as the formulations do vary a fair amount.

It sounds like home refilling will be cheapest, and it should mostly be
a matter of shopping around online.

>> This Deskjet would be used along with my HP Color LaserJet 5 (yes,
>> there are still a few in use), which is OK but slow, and cheap on
>> consumables but expensive on power.
>>
> Good for you for trying to use your stuff "up", rather than leaving it
> to dwindle in the back of your closet.

I think, even allowing for power consumption, the laser will be a lot
cheaper per page than the inkjet. My strategy (unless anybody can
suggest a better one!) will be to use the Deskjet mainly for things
requiring photo- (or near-photo-) quality, or double-sided, or quick
(under one page) b/w documents because of the LaserJet's substantial
warm-up time.

> If you are interested in trying to get your Canon printer functional
> again (it may have a blown head, in which case the only fix is a new
> head), I do have a free head clog manual you can ask for. It isn't as
> complete as my Epson version, but some people have succeeded with the
> information to get their Canon printer working again.

Thanks, but I think the biggest problem was the ink waste tank. (And my
"attempts" to repair that.) I don't think the print head was clogged.
And the printer was 7 years old, so I figured it probably wouldn't last
much longer anyway. It's already been discarded, except for the ink
cartridges which I can turn in for store credit at a local Staples or
Office Depot, and the printhead. BTW, does anybody here want the
printhead from my late Canon i550?

Incidentally, what they say about HP printers being Linux-friendly and
Canon printers being unfriendly was certainly my experience too. It had
taken considerable effort to get the Canon working correctly under
Linux, but the HP practically installed itself, along with some helpful
utilities, on my Mandriva 2010.0 system.

Thanks VERY much for your help with this, and with everything in this
newsgroup!

Adam