From: fernando revilla on
Jesse F. Hughes wrote:

> *Fortunately* mathematics is not an experimental
> science.

With some nuances of meaning.

Fernando.
From: Proginoskes on

David R Tribble wrote:
> [...]
> Wild beliefs are one thing - we all have some of those to some degree
> I suspect. It's the rabidly irrational adherence to provably wrong
> beliefs that marks a crank as a crank.

No it isn't. The thing that marks a crank as a crank is my belief that
the NSA and the KGB are beaming microwaves into my apartment, which
spell out "Come work for us, and we'll buy you a Hummer!" in Enochian
Morse code, ever since I fixed that UFO with a bottle of Sobe and a
roll of masking tape. And no, it's not a rabid irrational adherence,
because I got my rabies shots last week, and also because it's a 2/3
adherence.

--- A. C. Fenderson

From: Han de Bruijn on
Lester Zick wrote:

> Actually an interesting prespective. Certainly mathematical axioms if
> not theorems are empirically established.

Axioms are implicit definitions.

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Jesse F. Hughes wrote:

> *Fortunately* mathematics is not an experimental science.

Not true. Part of modern mathematics _is_ an experimental science.
In very much the same way as physics is: theory as well as experiment.
Or would you like to say that structural (numerical) analysis is not
a form of mathematics? And how about computing a large prime number?

Welcome to the 21th century!

Han de Bruijn

From: schoenfeld.one on

Han de Bruijn wrote:
> Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>
> > *Fortunately* mathematics is not an experimental science.
>
> Not true. Part of modern mathematics _is_ an experimental science.
> In very much the same way as physics is: theory as well as experiment.
> Or would you like to say that structural (numerical) analysis is not
> a form of mathematics? And how about computing a large prime number?
>
> Welcome to the 21th century!

Wouldn't that be computer science?

> Han de Bruijn

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Any coordinate system in GR?
Next: Euclidean Spaces