From: Chip Eastham on

Robert Israel wrote:
> In article <1156822962.655075.212160(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> david petry <david_lawrence_petry(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >Nathan wrote:

> >> I have read many heuristic arguments advanced by mathematicians to
> >> suggest what *might* be true, especially in number theory. I disagree
> >> that the community "often turns a blind eye" to such. It's just that
> >> these still leave the actual question unanswered.
> >
> >It all depends on what the "actual" question is. If mathematics is
> >thought of as a science having the purpose of explaining why we observe
> >the phenomena that we do observe, then the heuristic argument really
> >does answer the "actual" question. There's absolutely no reason to
> >believe that we can do better than a heuristic argument in many cases.

" Except that
1) in many cases we _can_ do better.
2) many perfectly plausible statements, supported by all kinds of
heuristics, turn out to be wrong."

Ironically this is a good heuristic argument that we can
do better than a heuristic argument in many cases!
Thus we should ordinarily try, which contrary to Petry's
claim that mathematicians turn a blind eye to heuristics,
leads to minutely careful evaluation of them.

Heuristic arguments good; formal proofs better.

Empty rhetoric and hand waving, still cheaply priced
(but questionable values).

--c

From: Lester Zick on
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:10:10 +0200, Han de Bruijn
<Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>
>> Actually an interesting prespective. Certainly mathematical axioms if
>> not theorems are empirically established.
>
>Axioms are implicit definitions.

Which are empirically established and not demonstrated.

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:03:17 -0400, "Jesse F. Hughes"
<jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:

>John Schutkeker <jschutkeker(a)sbcglobal.net.nospam> writes:
>
>> Jeremy Boden <jeremy(a)jboden.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> Unfortunately mathematics is not an experimental science.
>>
>> I disagree.
>
>Fair enough.
>
>*Fortunately* mathematics is not an experimental science.

And yet unfortunately mathematical axioms are empirically established.

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On 30 Aug 2006 02:43:00 -0700, schoenfeld.one(a)gmail.com wrote:

>Proginoskes wrote:
>> schoenfeld.one(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> > Han de Bruijn wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Then there is no experiementation. Mathematics is not an experimental
>> > science, it is not even a science. The principle of falsifiability does
>> > not apply.
>>
>> Written by someone who has not done any math research.
>>
>> One of many examples: Try dividing 2^n by n and keeping track of the
>> remainders. You won't get 1; you get 2 a lot, but you never seem to get
>> a 3. So you conjecture:
>>
>> CONJECTURE: The remainder of 2^n divided by n is never 3.
>>
>> However, this conjecture is false; in particular, the remainder of 2^n
>> divided by n is 3 if n = 4,700,063,497 (but for no smaller n's).
>
>Hello Crackpot.

Crackpot=disagreer. Quite mathematical.

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On 30 Aug 2006 05:01:52 -0700, schoenfeld.one(a)gmail.com wrote:

>Han de Bruijn wrote:
>> schoenfeld.one(a)gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Then there is no experiementation. Mathematics is not an experimental
>> > science, it is not even a science. The principle of falsifiability does
>> > not apply.
>>
>> Any even number > 2 is the sum of two prime numbers. Now suppose that I
>> find just _one_ huge number for which this (well-known) conjecture does
>> _not_ hold. By mere number crunching. Isn't that an application of the
>> "principle of falsifiability" to mathematics?
>
>Falsifiability does not _need_ to apply in mathematics. In math,
>statements can be true without their being a proof of it being true.
>Likewise, they can be false.

Except apparently for definitions.

>In physics, a hypothesis is never true only verified xor false.

In physics a hypothesis is either contradictory or not.

~v~~
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: Any coordinate system in GR?
Next: Euclidean Spaces