From: Casey Hawthorne on
Amazing, I just discovered a recent, 2007, discrete mathematics book
that describes the greedy algorithm in terms of matroids.
What a clean presentation.

With functional programming one wants to think abstractly in terms of
mathematical structures, like this.
--
Regards,
Casey
From: tchow on
In article <4mmjp51nmc0hckrte6rm7m5np4v6hcorgd(a)4ax.com>,
Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>Amazing, I just discovered a recent, 2007, discrete mathematics book
>that describes the greedy algorithm in terms of matroids.
>What a clean presentation.

Which book?
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: Casey Hawthorne on
On 12 Mar 2010 15:34:43 GMT, tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:

>In article <4mmjp51nmc0hckrte6rm7m5np4v6hcorgd(a)4ax.com>,
>Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>>Amazing, I just discovered a recent, 2007, discrete mathematics book
>>that describes the greedy algorithm in terms of matroids.
>>What a clean presentation.
>
>Which book?

"Discrete Mathematics", Martin Aigner, 2007, AMS Press
Translated from the German by David Kramer
--
Regards,
Casey
From: tchow on
In article <cggnp59h1negescddhqrvk7qmh7qb1i9ra(a)4ax.com>,
Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>On 12 Mar 2010 15:34:43 GMT, tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
>
>>In article <4mmjp51nmc0hckrte6rm7m5np4v6hcorgd(a)4ax.com>,
>>Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>>>Amazing, I just discovered a recent, 2007, discrete mathematics book
>>>that describes the greedy algorithm in terms of matroids.
>>>What a clean presentation.
>>
>>Which book?
>
>"Discrete Mathematics", Martin Aigner, 2007, AMS Press
>Translated from the German by David Kramer

Ah, Aigner. I spotted this at one point but did not look at it in detail.
Thanks for the tip.

A year or two I tried to convince the American Mathematical Society to bring
Dominic Welsh's matroid theory book back into print, but the reply I got was
something like, "Nobody cares about matroid theory any more, and if they do,
there's Oxley's book." I refuted this argument in detail, but in the end I
got more joy by going to Dover instead. If all goes well, the Dover edition
of Welsh's book should be available this summer.