From: Unified_Perspective on
An Absolute Chronometer

If the space between observers here on earth and a distant optical
source were a perfect vacuum then the speed of the light rays coming
from that source would depend only on the motion of that source
compared to our position or motion. In that case, time dilation and
frequency shift would be completely and solely dependent on relative
motion.

As a practical matter the intervening vacuum is extremely good, but
not perfect. As this is the general case the result of Fizeau's
experiments on the effect velocity and frequency of light moving
through water also apply to light moving through an imperfect vacuum

Similarly, Fizeau's results apply to Sagnac and Wang devices as these
results are present in media of greater density than a perfect vacuum
and so conform to the equation;

V=(c/n+(v*(1-1/n^2)

While the frequency is effected according to;

(please see Wikipedia)

where;
is the velocity of waves in the medium
is the velocity of the source relative to the medium
is the velocity of the receiver relative to the medium.

In the limit where the speed of the wave is much greater than the
relative speed of the source and observer (this is often the case with
electromagnetic waves, e.g. light), the relationship between observed
frequency f and emitted frequency f0 is given by:

Observed frequency

f=(1/v(sub f,sub r)/c)*f(sub o)

Change in frequency

(Please see the wikipedia reference; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect)

From this it can be clearly seen that the Doppler change in frequency
is dependent upon the wavelength of the emission. As all visibly
observable cosmological sources have emission spectra and these can be
separated and analyzed it should be possible to measure a differential
interval between spectral lines from different sources and make
reasonable inferences about the absolute amount of space/time between
the source and the observer. While this information would not
necessarily be the much sought after and hoped for absolute
chronometer for cosmology. With proper calibration, it could certainly
contribute to those efforts.

What I am herein proposing is that the chromatic aberration of an
imperfect vacuum itself could potentially be used as a type of direct
reading chronometer for any given observation.

Similarly, in radio teloscopy there is I believe usually an assumption
that the electromagnetic transmissivness of the media that intervenes
between a given source and our observations is perfect.

Clearly, this assumption could be critically examined.

As a specific example most known high frequency pulsars are sources
are observed to be in globular clusters. Regions of space time in
which the average matter density is very high and in which it might be
reasonable to assume that the imperfectness of the intervening vacuum
is similarly quite high. In that case the pulsar effect could be
largely due to the Doppler shifting of any rapidly rotating distantly
observed source. The appeal of this is that extremely high rotational
rates for extremely dense objects like black holes make physical sense
while similar extremely high orbital rates for hypothetical binary
pairs are problematic.

We being in the near neighborhood to our own sun observe that there is
a “solar wind” why then do we persist in the assumption that the
combined effect of a multitude of solar winds are having no effect on
our telescopic examinations of distant sources.

A common misconception1

“Craig Bohren pointed out in 1991 that some physics textbooks
erroneously state that the observed frequency increases as the object
approaches an observer and then decreases only as the object passes
the observer.[3] In fact, the observed frequency of an approaching
object declines monotonically from a value above the emitted
frequency, through a value equal to the emitted frequency when the
object is closest to the observer, and to values increasingly below
the emitted frequency as the object recedes from the observer. Bohren
proposed that this common misconception might occur because the
intensity of the sound increases as an object approaches an observer
and decreases once it passes and recedes from the observer and that
this change in intensity is misperceived as a change in
frequency.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect )

This is a very important observation. It implies that when we are
observing very distant and very intense variable sources such as
quasar's and neglecting the understanding that we observe them to be
so intense for these very reasons. Properly corrected for both pitch
and amplitude these very distant variable sources were certainly not
as intense on average as we perceive them to have been. Reading the
difference between the observed maximum intensity and the minimum
intensity we are reading the elliptical distortion of the relative
motion along the time axis and when we read the properly corrected
mean frequency of the source we are reading the space axis.

While it would be wonderful if we could simple compare the observed
average frequency of the source and the corrected average frequency
and obtain an direct read of the distance. This is not possible. This
comparison will only yield an estimate of the relative motion between
the source and the observation. Usefull information, but not absolute.

However, if a variable source is observed and a comparison is made
between the observed Doppler red shift due to relative motion between
the source and observer and this is compared to the transverse Doppler
shift due to the rotary motion of the source – then an direct
inference can be made about the about the amount of both space and
time that separate source and observer in an absolute reference
frame.

An absolute chronometer if you will.

It should be noted that that the previously mentioned transverse
Doppler red shift will be most apparent when the source is moving at
right angles to the observer and that this transverse Doppler shift is
only predicted by relativity and not by classical theory.

Further, it is part of my hypothesis is that the observed pulsing of a
high frequency pulsar source of this type can be in part attributed to
the common misconception mention above.

In the case of radio astronomy this hypothesis should be testable by
segmenting a given pulsar's emission's into elliptic frequency cones
analogous to the elliptical light cones illustrated in Hans de Vries
pre-publication book “Understanding Relativistic Quantum Field Theory”
- "Figure 4.10: Intersections with the 2+1 dimensional light cones"

There would be a strong tendency on the part of most annalists to
segment the sources observed cycle into pie shaped segments of equal
angles, and in fact later on Han's does this. While this type of
segmentation is correct for a time corrected and Lorentz dilated
frequency diagram the segmentation for a Doppler shifted source should
obey the equal areas in equal times relationship first deduced as
correct by Johann Kepler for elliptical orbital period of Mars.

In summary, I believe that by carefully examining the subtle
differences between the true, slightly cloudy space of our universe
and the “perfect” vacuum of our idealized models we can infer a great
deal about the nature of that universe.

The fact that a relativistic transformation of time dilation is
frequency dependent and a Lorentzian contraction of space is
frequency independent means that by careful comparison of mean
frequency as compared to maximum frequency and minimum frequency along
with comparison of maximum intensity and minimum intensity it should
be possible to make very good inferences about the both the absolute
amount of space, “distance” and the absolute amount of time “dis-
simultaneity” from by correctly decomposing of the signal from a
single variable source. I want to stress however that only careful
analysis will do.

The differences I propose should exist will be of the same character
and quality as the very slight and subtle difference between the
precession of the orbit of Mars as understood by classical mechanics
and the more nearly correct precession predicted by Einstein.

(This posting lost something in the conversion to usegroup format. If
anyone wishes a cleaner copy please post an e-mail address and I will
send one direct.)
From: Androcles on

"Unified_Perspective" <agallist(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
An Absolute Chronometer

Well done, you've caught up to Newton.

"Absolute, true, and mathematical time, of itself, and from its own nature
flows equably without regard to anything external, and by another name is
called duration: relative, apparent, and common time, is some sensible and
external (whether accurate or unequable) measure of duration by the means of
motion, which is commonly used instead of true time; such as an hour, a day,
a month, a year." -- Principia Mathematica.

Anything else Newton can help you with?

[...]

From this it can be clearly seen that the Doppler change in frequency

From: BURT on
On Nov 7, 3:29 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_p> wrote:
> [...]
> frequency as compared to maximum frequency and minimum frequency along
> with comparison of maximum intensity and minimum intensity it should
> be possible to make very good inferences about the both the absolute
> amount of space, “distance” and the absolute amount of time “dis-
> simultaneity” from by correctly decomposing of the signal from a
> single variable source. I want to stress however that only careful
> analysis will do.
>
> The differences I propose should exist will be of the same character
> and quality as the very slight and subtle difference between the
> precession of the orbit of Mars as understood by classical mechanics
> and the more nearly correct precession predicted by Einstein.
>
> (This posting lost something in the conversion to usegroup format. If
> anyone wishes a cleaner copy please post an e-mail address and I will

We can never measure anything exact because the details of finite
quantities go down to the level of the infinitely small. Just as there
are an infinity of quantities inbetween zero and one. An example is
point nine repeating followed by one.

Mitch Raemsch
From: BURT on
On Nov 7, 5:21 pm, BURT <macromi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > simultaneity” from by correctly decomposing of the signal from a
> > single variable source. I want to stress however that only careful
> > analysis will do.
>
> > The differences I propose should exist will be of the same character
> > and quality as the very slight and subtle difference between the
> > precession of the orbit of Mars as understood by classical mechanics
> > and the more nearly correct precession predicted by Einstein.
>
> > (This posting lost something in the conversion to usegroup format. If
> > anyone wishes a cleaner copy please post an e-mail address and I will
> > send one direct.)
>
> We can never measure anything exact because the details of finite
> quantities go down to the level of the infinitely small. Just as there
> are an infinity of quantities inbetween zero and one. An example is

A chronometer is an extra name for "a clock."

Mitch Raemsch