From: Arno on
Marc Haber <mh+usenetspam1002(a)zugschl.us> wrote:
> Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>robbio schrieb:
>>> I'm new about the Linux world.
>>
>>Then I'd suggest to use some easy Linux, that installs without many
>>problems, like Ubuntu.

> He uses Ubuntu's technical supplier. Please name any problems that
> Debian may cause during its install.

That is not correct. Ubuntu uses Debian packages, but not exclusively.
It also has its own installer, which is simpler to use. The Debain
installer is pretty good by now though.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Aug 8, 6:43 pm, robbio <codevi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>   Hi All,
>
> I'm new about the Linux world.
> I have a problem regarding Linux and XP on the same PC.
> Until today I had on my PC an hard disk with XP and a second empty hard
> disk where today I installed a debian distribution.
> Before started the debian setup I switched off the XP hard disk in order
> to avoid Linux seeing XP hard disk during that installation.

??? What do you mean you "switched off the XP hard drive"? Did you
disable it in the BIOS, or what?

Look, save yourself some pain until you're more familiar with this.
Install Oracle Virtualbox or another effective virtualizaiton tool,
and install Linux on the second hard drive using virtualization from
Windows. That way, you get both environments, with XP running for
games, and you can get more comfortable with Linux and your existing
setup.

> The debian installation was successful. After that I tried to modify the
> boot.ini file in order to start linux from the XP boot loader,
> to do this I followed some suggestions from the web ( I know was better
> to see XP from grub but for the moment and for me that was a good choice):

Ouch. Following random instructions "from the web" is the way of
thrashing your system with bad advice.

> that is I used the following command "dd if=/dev/sda1 of=<filename>
> bs=512 count=1" to create the file to put on C:\<file> and appended a line
> int the boot.ini file "C:\<file>="Linux""

What in the? OK, that will only work if your boot loader was on /dev/
sda1, not on /dev/sda, and if your Linux doesn't renumber the drives
in its concept of the world when it sees your old XP drive active and
first.

> On the XP boot I was able to see the choice "Linux" from the list but
> selecting it nothing happened, a black screen.
>
> I tried to create the filename using different hard disk with "dd"
> command, /dev/sda, /dev/sda1 etc without successful ,this because during
> the installation (if I don't wrong remember)
> Debian asked me to insert something similar to sda* for the hard disk to
> use for linux.

Stop playing with Debian's installer, which is powerful but not as
graceful as many others. Start with Ubuntu, which is based on Debian
but is much more organized into a consumer friendly environment.
Backup your Windows system before beginning, and install the Linux
carefully with the Windows disk insalled as well. You might be able to
select your actual boot drive with your BIOS.

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich on
Nico Kadel-Garcia schrieb:

> Stop playing with Debian's installer, which is powerful but not as
> graceful as many others. Start with Ubuntu, which is based on Debian
> but is much more organized into a consumer friendly environment.

+1

Not to say that Debian is bad, but Ubuntu installs easily on all my
machines. I recently installed it from Win7, into its own Windows
directory. No partitioning, no woes :-)

DoDi
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2