From: Skybuck Flying on
Hello,

There is one big problem with CRT's, LCD's and possibly even televisions...

They all project lot's of light into our eyes, which screws with our
wake/sleeping pattern.
(Especially large white area's on the screens.)

Maybe analog/non-light displays could solve such "health" issue's.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Ken Hagan on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:48:27 +0200, Skybuck Flying
<IntoTheFuture(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe analog/non-light displays could solve such "health" issue's.

They do say that e-Ink displays are easier on the eye. To judge from the
current market, we'll all get the chance to find out in the next few years
or so.
From: MitchAlsup on
On Apr 11, 6:48 pm, "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFut...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> There is one big problem with CRT's, LCD's and possibly even televisions....
>
> They all project lot's of light into our eyes, which screws with our
> wake/sleeping pattern.

You can and SHOULD turn down the intensity of the TV screen to fit the
environment in which you are watching it. That is if a human being
were to stand besides the TV screen with an image of a humam on the
screen, both should display similar intensity levels and skin tones.
100% of TVs leaving the factory are set way to bright.

But the fault is that of the user, wanting colors that are too
saturated, too bright, and not at all realistick. All TVs that I have
seen in the past 20 years come with a control unit tha allows the user
to FIX the color should he not be so blind as he cannot correlate
reality with TV.

Mitch
From: Martin Brown on
MitchAlsup wrote:
> On Apr 11, 6:48 pm, "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFut...(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> There is one big problem with CRT's, LCD's and possibly even televisions...
>>
>> They all project lot's of light into our eyes, which screws with our
>> wake/sleeping pattern.
>
> You can and SHOULD turn down the intensity of the TV screen to fit the
> environment in which you are watching it. That is if a human being
> were to stand besides the TV screen with an image of a humam on the
> screen, both should display similar intensity levels and skin tones.
> 100% of TVs leaving the factory are set way to bright.

TVs are typically shipped with default display settings that are way too
bright, over sharpened and too contrasty with posterised colours. That
is apparently what the slimy marketeers have determined sells most kit!

I guess they have to be bright to look good in shop windows.

You can adjust these settings to get a sensible real looking default
picture. A few of the newer ones now dynamically vary the back light
brightness to enhance to total luminance range displayable and/or
respond to changing ambient light levels automatically.

> But the fault is that of the user, wanting colors that are too
> saturated, too bright, and not at all realistick. All TVs that I have
> seen in the past 20 years come with a control unit tha allows the user
> to FIX the color should he not be so blind as he cannot correlate
> reality with TV.

I can only agree with you. Some of the better LCD displays use IPS
panels and they offer a noticeably wider colour gamut. The other
advantage is that people can see the display with accurate colours from
a wider range of viewing angles. I find this beneficial too.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Dave Platt on

In article <fiKwn.33934$iL1.10969(a)newsfe24.iad>,
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>TVs are typically shipped with default display settings that are way too
>bright, over sharpened and too contrasty with posterised colours. That
>is apparently what the slimy marketeers have determined sells most kit!
>
>I guess they have to be bright to look good in shop windows.

Bingo.

Last year, when I was TV shopping, I saw something which at least
brings a ray of hope to the situation. A particular LCD TV's setup
screen had a whole bunch of brightness-and-contrast choices: and one
of them read something like "Store Demo". It was, if I recall
correctly, the brightest and most garish of the lot.

I don't mind that a bright, competitive "store demo" setting be
included... but it'd really be nice if it wasn't the default!

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO