From: Mike Ratcliffe on
We have been having a lively debate at work about whether or not we
should use brackets with conditionals that contain AndAlso. This is
because AndAlso has precedence over OrElse and I say that it makes
code more manageable if brackets are included.

False OrElse True AndAlso False will return False because AndAlso has
precedence over OrElse.

I say that this is better written as:
False OrElse (True AndAlso False)

What do you think?
From: AMercer on
I agree with you - include the parentheses. More so with less often used
constructs, and more so with more complex expressions. Intent will be clear
to the new guy next year whose first assignment is making a mod to this code.

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 22.03.2010 13:32, schrieb Mike Ratcliffe:
> We have been having a lively debate at work about whether or not we
> should use brackets with conditionals that contain AndAlso. This is
> because AndAlso has precedence over OrElse and I say that it makes
> code more manageable if brackets are included.
>
> False OrElse True AndAlso False will return False because AndAlso has
> precedence over OrElse.
>
> I say that this is better written as:
> False OrElse (True AndAlso False)
>
> What do you think?

Agreeing with AMercer.

--
Armin
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Mike,

This are question which completely depends on the knowledge of the users.

Some say parentheses make it easier to read, others say you would not put
things in code without a function, because then others become suspicious and
take time in it to examine why you did it and when they cannot find it, take
even more time.

However, personally I do it too, because I am simply to lazy to reminds me
what goes first especially in a not situation.

But to say that it is better, like I wrote, it is mainly because I'm lazy.

jmo

Cor

From: Herfried K. Wagner [MVP] on
Am 22.03.2010 13:32, schrieb Mike Ratcliffe:
> We have been having a lively debate at work about whether or not we
> should use brackets with conditionals that contain AndAlso. This is
> because AndAlso has precedence over OrElse and I say that it makes
> code more manageable if brackets are included.
>
> False OrElse True AndAlso False will return False because AndAlso has
> precedence over OrElse.
>
> I say that this is better written as:
> False OrElse (True AndAlso False)
>
> What do you think?

I don't like the brackets, but I'd suggest to use them because I doubt
that anybody who will work on the code is aware of the precendence rules
;-).

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>