From: David Ching on
Hello,

If user has disabled "play animations in web pages" in the Control Panel,
Internet Options, Advanced tab, then any animated .gif images I display in
my Web Browser Control (actually it's an MFC CDHtmlDialog) don't animate.

Is there a way I can override the user's IE setting and get my Web Browser
Control to animate the gifs? To initialize the dialog, I'm already calling:

DOCHOSTUIINFO info;
info.cbSize = sizeof(info);
GetHostInfo (&info);
SetHostFlags (info.dwFlags | DOCHOSTUIFLAG_DIALOG | DOCHOSTUIFLAG_THEME |
DOCHOSTUIFLAG_SCROLL_NO);

Thanks,
David

From: .rhavin grobert on
David Ching wrote:
> Is there a way I can override the user's IE setting and get my Web Browser
> Control to animate the gifs?

i hope there is none, because when i tell my system: "Don't animate!" i
want my system to do as i told ;-)

From: David Ching on
".rhavin grobert" <clqrq(a)yahoo.de> wrote in message
> i hope there is none, because when i tell my system: "Don't animate!" i
> want my system to do as i told ;-)

Ah, but here is the rub. Microsoft wants us to reuse their web browser in
our apps because it makes IE all the more indispensible. But if I'm going
to, then I, as the programmer, need to be able to animate my .gif's. In my
case, the user's setting is preventing my animated gif of a progress control
from animating, making it look like the app got stuck. This is entirely
unacceptable. In this case, it is I, the programmer, who should get to
decide that in my HTML app, I want my animated gif to animate. If it
doesn't, my app appears broken. And then I won't use Microsoft's web
browser control because it doesn't fulfill my needs. Then their goal of IE
everywhere is broken. So it is in their best interest to give me some
control over this.

As it was, I had to implement a timer routine and change the gif image
myself. It is a pain, and I wouldn't do it that way, except we are
releasing the Release Candidate tonight.

Thanks,
David

From: Rob ^_^ on
Hi David,

You can replace your animated gifs with animated sprites, but then again you
need scripting to be enabled on the client.

Most online games use animated sprites i/o gifs.

Regards.

From: .rhavin grobert on
David Ching wrote:
> In this case, it is I, the programmer, who should get to
> decide that in my HTML app, I want my animated gif to animate.

I really understand your position, but when i tell MY system to not
animate gifs in HTML context, i want MY system to do as I told, not as
the programmer of the application running on MY system intendet. If you
want to show me a progress, use a progress-control. An animated gif
without programm-defined progress-change is just an optical gimmic that
some users DONT WANT.

Thats why i really hope that what you want to do is impossible.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Problem calling RegGetValue
Next: Manifest file