From: thelfter on
Hello Tcl'ers

I am pleased to announce the release of the latest version of the
Oratcl package. Oratcl is a Tcl package that provides accessibility
to oracle databases. An updated copy of the Oratcl e-book will be
released soon

Significant changes for release 4.5 in no particular order.

* There is an additional package included in 4.5 Oratcl::utils .
This package of pure Tcl routines includes a very nice (in my opinion)
dialog for database connections.
Sample usage:

package require Oratcl
package require Oratcl::utils
set lda [Oratcl::utils::logonBox]

*** I am looking for contributions of Tcl code for the Oratcl::utils
package.

* Oratcl no longer has a Safe mode. It cannot be loaded into Safe
interpreters. This functionality was removed because the global
variable env() is no long exposed to Safe interps for safety
reasons. Since Oracle requires an env(ORACLE_HOME) for the client
libraries to function, there is no point. ***** Slave Interps work
fine.
* Oratcl now functions properly with Slave Interps. A core dump
caused by exit handling when Oratcl was loaded into a slave interp,
but not in the parent interp has been correct.
* New functions for batch insert/update. Called ArrayDML, it is now
possible to bind several rows at a time for a single database round
trip. "Implement an array dml feature for bulk loading data (insert/
update) using a patch submitted by Jeremy Collins about four years
ago. 1000 row inserts using array dml execute in about 5% of the time
as a traditional loop, bind, exec."
* Cast corrections to eliminate compile time warnings.
* update to TEA 3.6
* man page updates - standardize naming of a 'logonhandle'. Since
the relevent function is 'oralogon' the item returned is a
logonhandle. The 'orainfo' command inccorectly had an option for the
'loginhandle' (misspelled). 'orainfo', now accepts 'logonhandle' and
a future version of OraTcl will deprecate the 'loginhandle'
option. ** Future code incompatibility
* Added 3 new features for oralogon: -sysdba, -sysoper and -sysasm
for specialized admin connections
* source code split from a single - oratcl.c file into smaller easier
to manage files such as : oraparse.c making code management (for me)
easier as well as allowing CVS tracking to more readily identify the
code being affected.
** additional unicode code fixes were applied/tested but I've had
mixed results with those depending on environment.\
* added BINARY_FLOAT and BINARY_DOUBLE to the list of known types.
* added code to correctly report new 10g types SQLT_IBFLOAT and
SQLT_IBDOUBLE as BINARY_FLOAT and BINARY_DOUBLE when describing
columns or tables. This change affects the 'oradesc' and 'oracols'
functions. Previously, these would have returned UNKNOWN as the type.
* fixed #1815636 [oramsg rows] returns 0 after 'MERGE' SQL
statement.
* Oratcl rpms (linux x86 and x86-64) and windows (32b) binaries built
and uploaded to the Sourceforge project page.
From: thelfter on
I forgot to mention that Oratcl 4.5 has been tested with Oracle 11g
Release 2. -- Works fine!
Todd
From: tom.rmadilo on
On Oct 7, 1:03 pm, "thelf...(a)gmail.com" <thelf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention that Oratcl 4.5 has been tested with Oracle 11g
> Release 2.  -- Works fine!
> Todd

How about links to current release and documentation?

From: thelfter on
Sure Tom, sorry.

The web site will be updated with fresh'er content soon.

http://oratcl.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oratcl/

download are from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oratcl/files/

Or if you are using CVS, the tag is : oratcl-4-5-branch

Thanks
-Todd

From: Robert H on
I updated the Tcl wiki page for it.