From: Christian PERRIER on
Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger(a)samba.org):
> Release Announcements
> =====================
>
> This is the second release candidate of Samba 3.5. This is *not*

Debian packages for 3.5.0rc2 were uploaded to Debian experimental as
of Sunday Jan 31st.

Many special thanks to Michael Adam for bringing a new configure
option for the *.dat files location. That allowed us, Debian
maintainers, to drop the very last bit of code changes meant to deal
with file locations that were not fitting the Debian view of the FHS.

The Debian diff is now very minimally restricted to Debian specific
changes that are not suitable for upstream inclusion (mostly
documentation stuff).

The Debian packaging team for Samba will now discuss the opportunity
to bring 3.5 packages in Debian unstable:

- release Debian squeeze with 3.5 instead of the now quite rock solid
3.4?

- consequences for Ubuntu?

Anyway, we again renew public thanks to Karolin's for her tremendous
job in release management. The entire Samba Team also deserves thanks
for their commitment to follow their release manager. A predictable
upstream release policy is the best that can happen to distro
packagers.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle(a)debian.org>wrote:

> Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger(a)samba.org):
> > Release Announcements
> > =====================
> >
> > This is the second release candidate of Samba 3.5. This is *not*
>

> Debian packages for 3.5.0rc2 were uploaded to Debian experimental as
> of Sunday Jan 31st.
>
> Many special thanks to Michael Adam for bringing a new configure
> option for the *.dat files location. That allowed us, Debian
> maintainers, to drop the very last bit of code changes meant to deal
> with file locations that were not fitting the Debian view of the FHS.
>
> The Debian diff is now very minimally restricted to Debian specific
> changes that are not suitable for upstream inclusion (mostly
> documentation stuff).
>
> The Debian packaging team for Samba will now discuss the opportunity
> to bring 3.5 packages in Debian unstable:
>
> - release Debian squeeze with 3.5 instead of the now quite rock solid
> 3.4?
>
> - consequences for Ubuntu?
>
> Anyway, we again renew public thanks to Karolin's for her tremendous
> job in release management. The entire Samba Team also deserves thanks
> for their commitment to follow their release manager. A predictable
> upstream release policy is the best that can happen to distro
> packagers.

This is very exciting, thank you all for your hard work. We would like to
see 3.5 in Squeeze soon as we will most likely be deploying Windows 7 2nd
quarter this year.

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University
On 02/01/2010 12:05 AM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger(a)samba.org):
>
>> Release Announcements
>> =====================
>>
>> This is the second release candidate of Samba 3.5. This is *not*
>>

> Debian packages for 3.5.0rc2 were uploaded to Debian experimental as
> of Sunday Jan 31st.
>
> Many special thanks to Michael Adam for bringing a new configure
> option for the *.dat files location. That allowed us, Debian
> maintainers, to drop the very last bit of code changes meant to deal
> with file locations that were not fitting the Debian view of the FHS.
>
> The Debian diff is now very minimally restricted to Debian specific
> changes that are not suitable for upstream inclusion (mostly
> documentation stuff).
>
> The Debian packaging team for Samba will now discuss the opportunity
> to bring 3.5 packages in Debian unstable:
>
> - release Debian squeeze with 3.5 instead of the now quite rock solid
> 3.4?
>
> - consequences for Ubuntu?
>
> Anyway, we again renew public thanks to Karolin's for her tremendous
> job in release management. The entire Samba Team also deserves thanks
> for their commitment to follow their release manager. A predictable
> upstream release policy is the best that can happen to distro
> packagers.

Any chance that there will be included in this release, a fix for the
libkrb5-3 1.8 problem with winbind?
Or will that fix have to come from the libkrb5-3 maintainers?
Quoting Dale Schroeder (dale(a)BriannasSaladDressing.com):

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 07:05:02AM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> Anyway, we again renew public thanks to Karolin's for her tremendous
> job in release management.

Hear hear ! I'd also like to publicly thank Karolin for the
wonderful job she is doing as release manager !