From: Stefan Patric on
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:00:25 -0500, don wrote:

> I have several children, with access to my PC. I have no idea what
> caused my current, annoying problem.
>
> I now have a lot of unexpected/unwanted jpeg and other short cuts
> appearing on my desktop. Obviously I can delete those unwanted links;
> sure prefer to know how to stop them form being displayed/created. I
> have no idea how to stop that proliferation of Desk Top entries.
>
> Sure appreciate any advice...

First, check the Properties of the links as a clue to what they are links
to. Check Add/Remove in the Control Panel to see if what's listed is
related to the Desktop links. Check the Startup folder, too. Hopefully,
the links are all benign, and will go away when deleted.

After you clean up everything, set up individual, password protected, non-
administrator privileged user accounts for everyone, including yourself.
Use those accounts for every day work. Assign a very strong password to
the Administrator account, one that only YOU know, and use it only when
you have to do maintenance, install programs, etc.

The biggest security hole in Windows is (and always has been) using the
Administrator for general, every day computing. It leaves the system
wide open to everything.

Stef
From: Sjouke Burry on
don(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> I have several children, with access to my PC. I have no idea what
> caused my current, annoying problem.
>
> I now have a lot of unexpected/unwanted jpeg and other short cuts
> appearing on my desktop. Obviously I can delete those unwanted links;
> sure prefer to know how to stop them form being displayed/created. I
> have no idea how to stop that proliferation of Desk Top entries.
>
> Sure appreciate any advice...
>
> -don
Somebody at work put in a removable harddisk enclosure
in his computer, he then cloned his harddisk, and had the
kids use that as OS system disk.
Absolutely no problems from the kids anymore.
From: philo on

<don(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have several children, with access to my PC. I have no idea what
> caused my current, annoying problem.
>
> I now have a lot of unexpected/unwanted jpeg and other short cuts
> appearing on my desktop. Obviously I can delete those unwanted links;
> sure prefer to know how to stop them form being displayed/created. I
> have no idea how to stop that proliferation of Desk Top entries.
>
> Sure appreciate any advice...
>
> -don

Not 100% sure but I think there is a relationship between those unwanted
desktop shortcuts
and your statement "I have several children with access to my PC."

I may not be the brightest candle on the birthday cake...
but somehow I just think there is a relationship somehow?

Rather than having a talk with them about "messing" up your computer...
you should do what all good 21st century parents do and *reward* them for
their bad behavior
with a new computer each . The new computers should of course be a lot
better than yours.

That way...they will probably leave your machine alone.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Ugrade vs new
Next: USB 2.0 Bandwidth