From: Rudy on
Hi All

I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I'm not
sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is safe as it is on a
second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct in assuming a clean install
will format the C drive?

Rudy

From: Grinder on
On 1/19/2010 7:54 AM, Rudy wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I'm not
> sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is safe as it is on a
> second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct in assuming a clean install
> will format the C drive?

You can choose what to do with the partition during a "clean" install:

1) Format
2) Quick Format
3) Leave Files in Place

As long as you have your files backed up, I would recommend option #1.

From: Stefan Patric on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:31 -0500, Rudy wrote:

> I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I'm
> not sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is safe as it
> is on a second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct in assuming a
> clean install will format the C drive?

A clean install is my preference always with a full, not quick, format of
the primary system drive. Of course, you're going to have to re-install
all your apps, but that can be a good thing: You'll end up with a clean,
pristine system.

Also, before you install XP check the hardware minimums for your computer
just to make sure. I always take what MS recommends and double the
amount of RAM and CPU speed to get a "usable" system. Those "minimums"
are just for installing and running the OS.

Stef
From: philo on
Stefan Patric wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:31 -0500, Rudy wrote:
>
>> I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I'm
>> not sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is safe as it
>> is on a second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct in assuming a
>> clean install will format the C drive?
>
> A clean install is my preference always with a full, not quick, format of
> the primary system drive. Of course, you're going to have to re-install
> all your apps, but that can be a good thing: You'll end up with a clean,
> pristine system.
>
> Also, before you install XP check the hardware minimums for your computer
> just to make sure. I always take what MS recommends and double the
> amount of RAM and CPU speed to get a "usable" system. Those "minimums"
> are just for installing and running the OS.
>

> Stef

I agree

I am a refurbisher and come across this stuff all the time.

A clean install is the best method to assure success.

For XP the machine should really have 512megs of RAM or more

and I'd say 256 would be the absolute bare minimum.

(I'm also assuming the machine is at least a p-III or equiv)
From: Rudy on

"Rudy" <rudykube(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I'm
> not sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is safe as it
> is on a second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct in assuming a
> clean install will format the C drive?
>
> Rudy
>

>Sorry, I should not have been so general. The machine is an
>athlonXP3200/400 with two megs of DDR400 ram. Asus Mobo and a QuadroFX
>workstation card.I am going to go with the clean install as recomended.
>Thanks
Rudy

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3