From: Dr.Hal0nf1r�$ on
philo wrote:
> Stefan Patric wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:31 -0500, Rudy wrote:
>>
>>> I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro.
>>> I'm not sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is
>>> safe as it is on a second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct
>>> in assuming a clean install will format the C drive?
>>
>> A clean install is my preference always with a full, not quick,
>> format of the primary system drive. Of course, you're going to have
>> to re-install all your apps, but that can be a good thing: You'll
>> end up with a clean, pristine system.
>>
>> Also, before you install XP check the hardware minimums for your
>> computer just to make sure. I always take what MS recommends and
>> double the amount of RAM and CPU speed to get a "usable" system. Those
>> "minimums" are just for installing and running the OS.
>>

>> Stef
>

> I agree
>
> I am a refurbisher and come across this stuff all the time.
>
> A clean install is the best method to assure success.
>
> For XP the machine should really have 512megs of RAM or more
>
> and I'd say 256 would be the absolute bare minimum.
>
> (I'm also assuming the machine is at least a p-III or equiv)

If you don't mind a machine that runs almost as slow as Bullis' brain you
could run XP pro on a P1 with 256MB RAM. It can be done, although like
Bullis himself - it sucks.

Sharron Field - Owner and Creator of kkomp.com http://kkomp.com Follow
me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/shazzalive

From: Clogwog on
"Dr.Hal0nf1r�$" <femail(a)nospam.kustomkomputa.co.uk.invalid> schreef in
bericht news:HcmdnQjIdLMZQsrWnZ2dnUVZ8gWdnZ2d(a)bt.com...
> philo wrote:
>> Stefan Patric wrote:

>>> A clean install is my preference always with a full, not quick,
>>> format of the primary system drive. Of course, you're going to have
>>> to re-install all your apps, but that can be a good thing: You'll
>>> end up with a clean, pristine system.
>>>
>>> Also, before you install XP check the hardware minimums for your
>>> computer just to make sure. I always take what MS recommends and
>>> double the amount of RAM and CPU speed to get a "usable" system. Those
>>> "minimums" are just for installing and running the OS.
>>>

>>> Stef
>>

>> I agree
>>
>> I am a refurbisher and come across this stuff all the time.
>>
>> A clean install is the best method to assure success.
>>
>> For XP the machine should really have 512megs of RAM or more
>>
>> and I'd say 256 would be the absolute bare minimum.
>>
>> (I'm also assuming the machine is at least a p-III or equiv)
>
> If you don't mind a machine that runs almost as slow as Bullis' brain you
> could run XP pro on a P1 with 256MB RAM. It can be done, although like
> Bullis himself - it sucks.

"Power user" Syphilis Syndrone might be offended now!
<aside>
Haven't seen him and Kevin around for a while now!

From: relic on

"Clogwog" <BWAHAHAHAAA(a)BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote in message
> "Dr.Hal0nf1r�$" <femail(a)nospam.kustomkomputa.co.uk.invalid> schreef in
> bericht news:HcmdnQjIdLMZQsrWnZ2dnUVZ8gWdnZ2d(a)bt.com...
>> philo wrote:

>>> I agree
>>>
>>> I am a refurbisher and come across this stuff all the time.
>>>
>>> A clean install is the best method to assure success.
>>>
>>> For XP the machine should really have 512megs of RAM or more
>>>
>>> and I'd say 256 would be the absolute bare minimum.
>>>
>>> (I'm also assuming the machine is at least a p-III or equiv)
>>
>> If you don't mind a machine that runs almost as slow as Bullis' brain you
>> could run XP pro on a P1 with 256MB RAM. It can be done, although like
>> Bullis himself - it sucks.
>>

> "Power user" Syphilis Syndrone might be offended now!
> <aside>
> Haven't seen him and Kevin around for a while now!

I just saw an SS post that K-Man had cross-posted into alt.windows7.general.
It probably came from 24hour.

From: Clogwog on
"relic" <relic2(a)cjb.net> schreef in bericht

> "Clogwog" <BWAHAHAHAAA(a)BWAHAHAHAAA.LOL> wrote in message
>> "Dr.Hal0nf1r�$" <femail(a)nospam.kustomkomputa.co.uk.invalid> schreef in
>> bericht news:HcmdnQjIdLMZQsrWnZ2dnUVZ8gWdnZ2d(a)bt.com...

>>> If you don't mind a machine that runs almost as slow as Bullis' brain
>>> you could run XP pro on a P1 with 256MB RAM. It can be done, although
>>> like Bullis himself - it sucks.
>>>

>> "Power user" Syphilis Syndrone might be offended now!
>> <aside>
>> Haven't seen him and Kevin around for a while now!
>
> I just saw an SS post that K-Man had cross-posted into
> alt.windows7.general. It probably came from 24hour.
Kevin won't be far then ;-)

From: Cristian Alberti on
I'm agree too with "format c:"
With MS OS is always the better choise.
Obviously first of all you have to store away your data, config settings and
mails.
Then proceed to format -> install OS -> install proper drivers (depends by
your system) -> update the OS -> install progs -> config all -> copy your
data in.
That's all folks!

"Rudy" <rudykube(a)comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi All
>
> I have a computer running Win 2000Pro. I want to upgrade to XP Pro. I'm
> not sure weather to do a clean install or upgrade. My data is safe as it
> is on a second HDD so thats not a problem. Am I correct in assuming a
> clean install will format the C drive?
>
> Rudy

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3