From: Grant Edwards on
In a recent Reg article, there's yet more yammering on about how Go is
somehow akin to Python -- referring to Go as a "Python-C++" crossbreed.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/20/go_in_production_at_google/

I still don't get it.

What about Go, exactly, do people see as Phython-like?

Go doesn't seem to have any of the salient features (either syntactic
or semantic) of Python other than garbage collection.

How is Go not just warmed-over Java?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! RELATIVES!!
at
From: David Cournapeau on
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In a recent Reg article, there's yet more yammering on about how Go is
> somehow akin to Python -- referring to Go as a "Python-C++" crossbreed.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/20/go_in_production_at_google/
>
> I still don't get it.
>
> What about Go, exactly, do people see as Phython-like?

I guess the type system without a strict hierarchy, as well as very
fast compilation enabling fast iteration. Granted, a lot of languages
have those features nowadays, and I doubt anyone would speaks about it
if it was not where it was coming from. The fact that google feels the
need to create a new system programming language is maybe the most
interesting fact of it ?

cheers,

David
From: John Roth on
On May 21, 8:20 am, Grant Edwards <inva...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In a recent Reg article, there's yet more yammering on about how Go is
> somehow akin to Python -- referring to Go as a "Python-C++" crossbreed.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/20/go_in_production_at_google/
>
> I still don't get it.
>
> What about Go, exactly, do people see as Phython-like?
>
> Go doesn't seem to have any of the salient features (either syntactic
> or semantic) of Python other than garbage collection.
>
> How is Go not just warmed-over Java?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! RELATIVES!!
>                                   at
>                               gmail.com

Actually, Go seems to be more C implemented the way the C developers
would have done it if they knew then what they know now. That's not a
joke - look at the names on the development team.

I haven't a clue how anyone can think it's similar to Python. Or Java,
for that matter.

John Roth
From: sturlamolden on
On 21 Mai, 16:20, Grant Edwards <inva...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I still don't get it.
>
> What about Go, exactly, do people see as Phython-like?
>
> Go doesn't seem to have any of the salient features (either syntactic
> or semantic) of Python other than garbage collection.
>
> How is Go not just warmed-over Java?

Go is Algol 68. Reinventing the wheel is always fun.

From: Michele Simionato on
On May 21, 4:20 pm, Grant Edwards <inva...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> What about Go, exactly, do people see as Python-like?

The philosophy of keeping things simple. I find the concurrency
mechanism quite Pythonic.
Moreover Go interfaces are quite akin to Python duck typing, but
better. There also things which are quite different from Python e.g.
the attitude towards exceptions. In theory Go should be akin to C,
but my gut feeling is that in practice programming in it should not
feel too much different from
programming in Python (but I do not have first hand experience).

Michele Simionato