From: Simon Johnson on
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0060180.html

What the hell? So nobody was doing this before 2009? It's a pitty I
didn't save my Python code from 2004, because I was doing exactly this
back then!

The patent system has completely collapsed in the US.

What next "A method of bit-wise combining a random stream with plain-
text? (XOR)"

Cheers,

Simon

From: Tom St Denis on
On Jan 25, 6:22 am, Simon Johnson <simon.john...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0060180.html
>
> What the hell? So nobody was doing this before 2009? It's a pitty I
> didn't save my Python code from 2004, because I was doing exactly this
> back then!
>
> The patent system has completely collapsed in the US.
>
> What next "A method of bit-wise combining a random stream with plain-
> text? (XOR)"

What I don't get is why you'd need to do any filtering on the output
of BBS at all, let alone from a "plurality of BBS generators..."

And why is this assigned to Redhat?

Tom
From: WTShaw on
On Jan 25, 5:44 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:

> And why is this assigned to Redhat?
>
> Tom

It could be a defensive measure...more mud in the waters for a good
cause.
From: Tom St Denis on
On Jan 25, 1:04 pm, WTShaw <lure...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 5:44 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:
>

> > And why is this assigned to Redhat?
>
> > Tom
>
> It could be a defensive measure...more mud in the waters for a good
> cause.

Red Hat is a publicly traded company with share holders and all that.
They're pretty much mandated to use their patents to leverage others.
I don't buy the defensive patent nonsense.

And it really shouldn't have been granted in the first place. BBS is
not new, even if they hook it up in some redundant shrinking/NLF
mechanism chances are there isn't a new or unobvious thing about it.

Tom
From: Christian Baer on
Tom St Denis schrieb:

> And it really shouldn't have been granted in the first place. BBS is
> not new, even if they hook it up in some redundant shrinking/NLF
> mechanism chances are there isn't a new or unobvious thing about it.

I'm not an expert for patents in the US, but IIRC there war one
condition that had to be met: The person (or firm) applying for the
patent actually had to be the inventor of the "thing", not just the
first to hand in the papers.

Or am I missing the point here?

Regards
Chris