From: species8350 on
Hi,

If I quarantine a file on my pc, then the file seems to get stored in
an infected file folder with a name in hexadecimal.

But the original file (name) appears to remain on the hard drive.

Can someone explain to me how the quarantine process actually works.

Thanks

From: FromTheRafters on
"species8350" <not_here.5.species8350(a)xoxy.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I quarantine a file on my pc, then the file seems to get stored in
> an infected file folder with a name in hexadecimal.
>
> But the original file (name) appears to remain on the hard drive.

???

> Can someone explain to me how the quarantine process actually works.

It depends on what AV you are asking about. To some extent, it may
depend also on what OS you are using. Usually, the file is moved to the
AV's directory and stored in encrypted form in a subdirectory along with
information as to where it came from (for restoration purposes).

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350(a)xoxy.net>

| Hi,

| If I quarantine a file on my pc, then the file seems to get stored in
| an infected file folder with a name in hexadecimal.

| But the original file (name) appears to remain on the hard drive.

| Can someone explain to me how the quarantine process actually works.

| Thanks

Insuffiient information. If a file is truly quarantined then it should no longer be in
it's original executable location but in a sequestered vault.

--
Dave