From: Virus Guy on
Mike Easter wrote:

> > Since Win 98 and/or Win 98 SE includes IE6 Browser,
>
> I strongly recommend that a W98se user not use the primitive and
> highly insecure browser IE6 SP1, the most recent v. of IE6 which
> W98 can use.

Win-98 runs exactly the same version of IE6-sp1 as does Win-2K.

And because Microsoft is still supporting win-2K, they are also
releasing IE6-SP1 rollup patches and fixes for it.

And those same rollup files have been applied by many win-98 users since
the "official" end of win-98 support back in July 2006.

Win-98 users should not be using IE6 for the same reasons that Win-2K or
XP users should not be using IE6 - because it's a horrible browser that
breaks many web standards. Firefox 2.0.0.20 is the last FF version to
run on un-modified win-98 systems, and it's a far better browser (as far
as page-rendering goes) then IE6, and has been for the past 2 or 3
years.

The use of KernelEx helper on win-98 systems allow those systems to
install and run many apps that are marked as "2k or XP only", such as
Firefox 3.x and many others.

Also note that Norton AntiVirus 2002 is a satisfactory (if not
preferrable) AV app for win-98. Contrary to what is stated on
Symantec's website, NAV 2002 can be updated via the "Symantec
Intelligent Updater" package (last time I looked it was 70 mb in size).
This will update both the scan engine DLL's and virus signature files.

The bloat that NAV became known for did not really start until the 2003
version, and became progressively worse each year after that.
From: Poutnik on
In article <4BC3EFA6.17FC7CE4(a)Guy.com>, Virus(a)Guy.com says...

> Win-98 runs exactly the same version of IE6-sp1 as does Win-2K.
>
> And because Microsoft is still supporting win-2K, they are also
> releasing IE6-SP1 rollup patches and fixes for it.
>
> And those same rollup files have been applied by many win-98 users since
> the "official" end of win-98 support back in July 2006.

But support and updates for W2K ends in July 2010....

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
From: occam on
On 11/04/2010 01:18, Mike Easter wrote:
> siljaline wrote:
>
>> Since Win 98 and/or Win 98 SE includes IE6 Browser,
>
> I strongly recommend that a W98se user not use the primitive and highly
> insecure browser IE6 SP1, the most recent v. of IE6 which W98 can use.

The OP is using Firefox, so IE-6 is not the only issue.
I was happily using a Kaspersky [not free] on Win98, before I
decommissioned the PC. However I havre seen free versions of Kaspersky
(version 6) offered by AOL?
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=19410
From: Mike Easter on
occam wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> siljaline wrote:
>>
>>> Since Win 98 and/or Win 98 SE includes IE6 Browser,
>> I strongly recommend that a W98se user not use the primitive and highly
>> insecure browser IE6 SP1, the most recent v. of IE6 which W98 can use.
>>

> The OP is using Firefox,

Presumably you are referring to this information about the gecko engine
from the OP's headers:

Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11

I don't know exactly how to interpret that. He didn't post that message
with FF 2.0.0.11, but for some reason the user-agent was announced
differently in his headers than Tbird does -- perhaps that means that he
is using a moz suite such as SeaMonkey.

--
Mike Easter
From: Mike Easter on
Mike Easter wrote:
> occam wrote:

>> The OP is using Firefox,

> Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11

> perhaps that means that he
> is using a moz suite such as SeaMonkey.

Also, that win nt 5.1 is XP not W98, so he isn't posting to this group
with a native W98 rig.

--
Mike Easter
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last