From: Henry on
What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG stopped.

Thanks

Henry
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 15:56:41 -0400, Henry <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote:

> What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG stopped.

http://www.clamwin.com/
On demand scanning only though.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Henry on
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 15:56:41 -0400, Henry <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote:
>
>> What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG stopped.
>

> http://www.clamwin.com/
> On demand scanning only though.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

If I read you suggestion correctly, it isn't a real-time scanner which
is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Henry
From: siljaline on
Henry wrote:
> What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG stopped.

You may use ESET anti-virus build 2.7 though it is not available for download
from the ESET download site, you may get builds elsewhere such as File Hippo.
All the FAQ's regarding this are below including the length of time you will be able
to obtain update virus signature updates.
<http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2386>

<http://www.filehippo.com/download_nod32/history/2/>

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: Mike Easter on
Henry wrote:
> What free antivrius still supports Win98 please? Avast and AVG stopped.

Have you considered not using a realtime AV scanner? I've done that
with Win98 without any problems.

BTW bytheway, speed without the overhead of a realtime AV is remarkably
better for the type of hardware that typically requires using W98se in
the first place.

That is, if your hardware is so retarded as to need to use Win98, then
you probably shouldn't be doing things with Win98 + (burdensome) AV.
You should be doing it some other way.

Let's back up a little bit. What exactly is the hardware that is
running this W98?

--
Mike Easter
 |  Next  |  Last