From: bobster on
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall. Yeah, I know
the latter doesn't protect from outgoing stuff but with MSE there never is
any outgoing. I also use the free versions of Malwarebytes and
SUPERAntiSpyware once a week as an added safety measure. They rarely find
anything except an occasional tracking cookie.

=======================================
"doncee" <nopsamdbc9814(a)nospamswbell.wanted> wrote in message
Need to rid myself of NAV on my XP machine. Installed latest version in
April & have had numerous boot up & other errors ever since. Am thinking
of Avast or AVG as a replacement along w\ Spybot. Any pro's or con's on
these or on some others that should look in to. Thanks in advance
dc

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:52:41 -0700, "bobster" <fauxie(a)bogus.net>
wrote:

> I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall. Yeah, I know
> the latter doesn't protect from outgoing stuff

Although I used to recommend third-party firewalls because of their
outward protection, I've more recently become convinced that outward
protection is an illusion. Once one of the nasties gets into your
computer, it can essentially do whatever it wants, including
circumventing the firewall. So the extra protection that a firewall
that monitors outbound traffic provides is more apparent than real.

> but with MSE there never is
> any outgoing. I also use the free versions of Malwarebytes and
> SUPERAntiSpyware once a week as an added safety measure. They rarely find
> anything except an occasional tracking cookie.

Two excellent choices.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: mm on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:57:35 -0700, "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>"doncee" <nopsamdbc9814(a)nospamswbell.wanted> wrote in message
>> Need to rid myself of NAV on my XP machine. Installed latest version in
>> April & have had numerous boot up & other errors ever since. Am thinking
>> of Avast or AVG as a replacement along w\ Spybot. Any pro's or con's on
>> these or on some others that should look in to. Thanks in advance
>> dc
>

>You will get plenty of opinions, all may be well founded. Personally, I
>would go with MSE. Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam and Anti-Malware rolled into one.
>
>Microsoft Security Essentials
>http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

Isn't this the one that keeps telling my friend his security is out of
date, whenever he logs on the first time each day.

AVG etc. at least try to update the definitions before they complain
that they are out of date.

Others snipped.
From: Bruce Hagen on
<snip>

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>You will get plenty of opinions, all may be well founded. Personally, I
>>would go with MSE. Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam and Anti-Malware rolled into
>>one.
>>
>>Microsoft Security Essentials
>>http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx
>
> Isn't this the one that keeps telling my friend his security is out of
> date, whenever he logs on the first time each day.
>
> AVG etc. at least try to update the definitions before they complain
> that they are out of date.

I don't know. Who's your friend? I have no problem with MSE. It updates in
the background without doing anything. (At least for me).
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Hot-Text on
Go with Yahoo ToolBar

https://yahoo.cainternetsecurity.net/

"doncee" <nopsamdbc9814(a)nospamswbell.wanted> wrote in message
> Need to rid myself of NAV on my XP machine. Installed latest version in
> April & have had numerous boot up & other errors ever since. Am thinking
> of Avast or AVG as a replacement along w\ Spybot. Any pro's or con's on
> these or on some others that should look in to. Thanks in advance
> dc

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Dual boot after the fact