From: Timothy Madden on
Hello

Is there a good (free) POSIX library to use on Windows ?

I know things like fork() just do not fit on Windows but for all the
other functions that could be implemented ...

I know there is msys, but I would like just a library, maybe one that
works with Visual Studio ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden
From: William Ahern on
Timothy Madden <terminatorul(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello

> Is there a good (free) POSIX library to use on Windows ?

> I know things like fork() just do not fit on Windows but for all the
> other functions that could be implemented ...

> I know there is msys, but I would like just a library, maybe one that
> works with Visual Studio ?

The Win32 (and I presume Win64) environment is substantially POSIX
compliant, if not providing full technical compliance to some early POSIX
spec, as regards the system C language interface. Part of the raison d'etre
for Windows NT was POSIX compliance.

Which functionality are you looking for? Microsoft stopped caring about
POSIX shortly after they started caring, so the gaps grow larger with every
new POSIX spec.

- Bill