From: Weng Tianxiang on
Hi,
I want to buy books on CMOS digital circuit designs. Any advice on
which is the best book on CMOS digital circuit design?

I know the best textbook on software programming is a book written by
MIT 4 professors "The Introduction to Algorithms".

Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming" 1-3 volumes are good, and I
have read all of them, but they are at too low levels and cover too
limited research area.

I hope to buy the same books on CMOS digital circuit designs, even
though many experts may have different points of views.

Thank you.

Weng
From: Weng Tianxiang on
On Mar 16, 11:44 pm, Kim Enkovaara <kim.enkova...(a)iki.fi> wrote:
> Weng Tianxiang wrote:
> > I want to buy books on  CMOS digital circuit designs. Any advice on
> > which is the best book on CMOS digital circuit design?
>
> At least "Nanometer CMOS ICs, From Basics to ASICs" written by Harry
> Veendrick is quite nice overall book and is up to date with the
> technology. The only problem with the book is the price, which is
> quite high.
>
> --Kim

Hi Kim,
Thank you for your recommendation.

The book contains materials of full procedures to make an ASIC in
nanometer CMOS.

I just want CMOS logic circuit in nanometer in 32um technology, for
example, domino logic, time borrowing, how to expand an adder
operation into 15 levels and something like that.

I have ordered two books on Internet:

1. Principles of CMOS VLSI Design (Hardcover), second edition, 1999

~ Neil H. E. Weste (Author), Kamran Eshraghian (Author)

$0.01
+ $3.99shipping

2. Logical Effort: Designing Fast CMOS Circuits (The Morgan Kaufmann
Series in Computer Architecture and Design) by Ivan Sutherland, Robert
F. Sproull, and David Harris (Paperback - Feb. 16, 1999)
Buy new: $69.95 $62.95

7 new from $30.00
16 used from $24.25

I may buy another book "Principles of CMOS VLSI Design (Hardcover)",
third edition, 2010, written by Neil H. E. Weste and David Harris
when I finish reading the second edition.

Weng

From: Weng Tianxiang on
On Mar 17, 12:21 pm, Weng Tianxiang <wtx...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:44 pm, Kim Enkovaara <kim.enkova...(a)iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > Weng Tianxiang wrote:
> > > I want to buy books on  CMOS digital circuit designs. Any advice on
> > > which is the best book on CMOS digital circuit design?
>
> > At least "Nanometer CMOS ICs, From Basics to ASICs" written by Harry
> > Veendrick is quite nice overall book and is up to date with the
> > technology. The only problem with the book is the price, which is
> > quite high.
>
> > --Kim
>
> Hi Kim,
> Thank you for your recommendation.
>
> The book contains materials of full procedures to make an ASIC in
> nanometer CMOS.
>
> I just want CMOS logic circuit in nanometer in 32um technology, for
> example, domino logic, time borrowing, how to expand an adder
> operation into 15 levels and something like that.
>
> I have ordered two books on Internet:
>
> 1. Principles of CMOS VLSI Design (Hardcover), second edition, 1992
>
> ~ Neil H. E. Weste (Author), Kamran Eshraghian (Author)
>
> $0.01
> + $3.99shipping
>
> 2. Logical Effort: Designing Fast CMOS Circuits (The Morgan Kaufmann
> Series in Computer Architecture and Design) by Ivan Sutherland, Robert
> F. Sproull, and David Harris (Paperback - Feb. 16, 1999)
> Buy new: $69.95 $62.95
>
> 7 new from $30.00
> 16 used from $24.25
>
> I may buy another book "Principles of CMOS VLSI Design (Hardcover)",
> third edition, 2010, written by  Neil H. E. Weste and David Harris
> when I finish reading the second edition.
>
> Weng

Hi,
I have received both books:
1. Principles of CMOS VLSI Design (Hardcover), second edition, 1992
Neil H. E. Weste (Author), Kamran Eshraghian (Author)
2. Logical Effort: Designing Fast CMOS Circuits (The Morgan Kaufmann
Series in Computer Architecture and Design) by Ivan Sutherland, Robert
F. Sproull, and David Harris (Paperback - Feb. 16, 1999).

After brief reviewing,
The first one is really good so why it receives more than 3k
references in Google search. I have no any knowledge about CMOS. Now
after reading I may have a full picture of it.
It is a background knowledge and I like it even though it was
published in 1992.
The second one is basically useless.
The reason is the estimate of a logic speed and how they are generated
in most efficient way
are the topics of HDL compilers and it becomes other people's
business, not a digital logic designer's business.

Weng
From: Thomas Entner on
> The second one is basically useless.
> The reason is the estimate of a logic speed and how they are generated
> in most efficient way
> are the topics of HDL compilers and it becomes other people's
> business, not a digital logic designer's business.

Hi Weng,

I do not know the book, but it is hard for me to not disagree with the
statement, that a digital logic designer is not responsible for the
speed of the circuit. Especially when you are talking about domino
logic, etc. in your other posts, when I remember right ;-)

Regards,

Thomas
From: pallav on
Some good CMOS references:

1. Principles of CMOS VLSI Design by Weste/Harris
2. Digital Integrated Circuit Design: From VLSI Architectures to CMOS
Fabrication by Hubert Kaselin
3. CMOS Digital Integrated Circuits: Analysis and Design S.M. Kang and
Y. Leblebici
4. Low power design by Chandrakasan/Brodersen.
5. You can also look at books by John P. Uyemura but they might be
quite old.

Hope this helps.