From: dlion on
Are there any book on Oracle DBMS's internal? Like Microsoft Press's _Inside
Microsoft SQL Server 2005_

From: Mark D Powell on
On May 23, 8:04 am, dlion <n...(a)real.address> wrote:
> Are there any book on Oracle DBMS's internal? Like Microsoft Press's _Inside
> Microsoft SQL Server 2005_

Oracle provides afair amount of information about how Oracle works
internally in the official documentation including the Conceptsl, DBA
Administration, and Performance and Tuning Guide. Oracle has also
provided views on Oracle's internal memory structures since at least
version 6.3. You can find the dynamic performance views, v$,
documented in the Oracle version# Reference manual along with the
database parameters and rdbms dictionary views.

The Concepts manual includes the basic architecture, the relationship
between blocks, extents, and segments, identifies numerous interal
structure concpets such as free lists and interested transaction
lists, and bit maps for space managment.

For more details on internal processing you can go to Oracle support
where you will find numerous white papers that discuss specific
features in detail such as additional information on index
operations, sort segment usage, hash joins operations, and on the
various Oracle wait events.

You can also find information on reading Oracle system state dumps,
heap dumps, and session trace files. The first two of which contain
information related to various Oracle memory structures and their
contents at the time of the dump.

Numerous authors have written books that cover such topics as Oracle
index processing and reading cost base optimizer traces. Two authors
worth searching on are Jonathan Lewis who wrote the book on the Cost
Based Optimizer - Fundamentals and Tom Kyte who wrote a couple of
books on architecture and feature usage.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
From: Mark D Powell on
On May 23, 4:49 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 8:04 am, dlion <n...(a)real.address> wrote:
>
> > Are there any book on Oracle DBMS's internal? Like Microsoft Press's _Inside
> > Microsoft SQL Server 2005_
>
> Oracle provides afair amount of information about how Oracle works
> internally in the official documentation including the Conceptsl, DBA
> Administration, and Performance and Tuning Guide.  Oracle has also
> provided views on Oracle's internal memory structures since at least
> version 6.3.  You can find the dynamic performance views, v$,
> documented in the Oracle version# Reference manual along with the
> database parameters and rdbms dictionary views.
>
> The Concepts manual includes the basic architecture, the relationship
> between blocks, extents, and segments, identifies numerous interal
> structure concpets such as free lists and interested transaction
> lists, and bit maps for space managment.
>
> For more details on internal processing you can go to Oracle support
> where you will find numerous white papers that discuss specific
> features in detail such as additional information on index
> operations,  sort segment usage, hash joins operations, and on the
> various Oracle wait events.
>
> You can also find information on reading Oracle system state dumps,
> heap dumps, and session trace files.  The first two of which contain
> information related to various Oracle memory structures and their
> contents at the time of the dump.
>
> Numerous authors have written books that cover such topics as Oracle
> index processing and reading cost base optimizer traces.  Two authors
> worth searching on are Jonathan Lewis who wrote the book on the Cost
> Based Optimizer - Fundamentals and Tom Kyte who wrote a couple of
> books on architecture and feature usage.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

I do not know if it is still in print but Steve Adams wrote a book
that discusses the Oracle layered architecture and went into detail on
a slew of the X$ views that underlay the GV$ views upon which the V$
views The X$ views are actually Oracle program memory structures.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 06:43:25 -0700 (PDT), Mark D Powell
<Mark.Powell2(a)hp.com> wrote:

>On May 23, 4:49�pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:
>> On May 23, 8:04�am, dlion <n...(a)real.address> wrote:
>>
>> > Are there any book on Oracle DBMS's internal? Like Microsoft Press's _Inside
>> > Microsoft SQL Server 2005_
>>
>> Oracle provides afair amount of information about how Oracle works
>> internally in the official documentation including the Conceptsl, DBA
>> Administration, and Performance and Tuning Guide. �Oracle has also
>> provided views on Oracle's internal memory structures since at least
>> version 6.3. �You can find the dynamic performance views, v$,
>> documented in the Oracle version# Reference manual along with the
>> database parameters and rdbms dictionary views.
>>
>> The Concepts manual includes the basic architecture, the relationship
>> between blocks, extents, and segments, identifies numerous interal
>> structure concpets such as free lists and interested transaction
>> lists, and bit maps for space managment.
>>
>> For more details on internal processing you can go to Oracle support
>> where you will find numerous white papers that discuss specific
>> features in detail such as additional information on index
>> operations, �sort segment usage, hash joins operations, and on the
>> various Oracle wait events.
>>
>> You can also find information on reading Oracle system state dumps,
>> heap dumps, and session trace files. �The first two of which contain
>> information related to various Oracle memory structures and their
>> contents at the time of the dump.
>>
>> Numerous authors have written books that cover such topics as Oracle
>> index processing and reading cost base optimizer traces. �Two authors
>> worth searching on are Jonathan Lewis who wrote the book on the Cost
>> Based Optimizer - Fundamentals and Tom Kyte who wrote a couple of
>> books on architecture and feature usage.
>>
>> HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
>I do not know if it is still in print but Steve Adams wrote a book
>that discusses the Oracle layered architecture and went into detail on
>a slew of the X$ views that underlay the GV$ views upon which the V$
>views The X$ views are actually Oracle program memory structures.
>
>HTH -- Mark D Powell --

You mean the 8i book? I wouldn't recommend that as much of the
algorithms discussed have evolved over time.
OP would better buy the Oracle Press book on the Oracle Wait
Interface.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

From: Mark D Powell on
On May 24, 11:08 am, Sybrand Bakker <sybra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 06:43:25 -0700 (PDT), Mark D Powell
>

> <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:

> >> Oracle provides afair amount of information about how Oracle works
> >> internally in the official documentation including the Conceptsl, DBA
> >> Administration, and Performance and Tuning Guide.  Oracle has also
> >> provided views on Oracle's internal memory structures since at least
> >> version 6.3.  You can find the dynamic performance views, v$,
> >> documented in the Oracle version# Reference manual along with the
> >> database parameters and rdbms dictionary views.
>
> >> The Concepts manual includes the basic architecture, the relationship
> >> between blocks, extents, and segments, identifies numerous interal
> >> structure concpets such as free lists and interested transaction
> >> lists, and bit maps for space managment.
>
> >> For more details on internal processing you can go to Oracle support
> >> where you will find numerous white papers that discuss specific
> >> features in detail such as additional information on index
> >> operations,  sort segment usage, hash joins operations, and on the
> >> various Oracle wait events.
>
> >> You can also find information on reading Oracle system state dumps,
> >> heap dumps, and session trace files.  The first two of which contain
> >> information related to various Oracle memory structures and their
> >> contents at the time of the dump.
>
> >> Numerous authors have written books that cover such topics as Oracle
> >> index processing and reading cost base optimizer traces.  Two authors
> >> worth searching on are Jonathan Lewis who wrote the book on the Cost
> >> Based Optimizer - Fundamentals and Tom Kyte who wrote a couple of
> >> books on architecture and feature usage.
>
> >> HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> >I do not know if it is still in print but Steve Adams wrote a book
> >that discusses the Oracle layered architecture and went into detail on
> >a slew of the X$ views that underlay the GV$ views upon which the V$
> >views   The X$ views are actually Oracle program memory structures.
>
> >HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> You mean the 8i book? I wouldn't recommend that as much of the
> algorithms discussed have evolved over time.
> OP would better buy the Oracle Press book on the Oracle Wait
> Interface.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

I mentioned Jonathan's CBO book. However much of the material in the
Practical Oracle 8i book on what I would consider to be internals such
as how normal indexes work, generating optimizer traces, and so on is
still accurate even on 11g. But the sections on object collections,
partitions, and other useful features all are missing the version 10g
and 11g improvements so I did not mention it.

Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals Jonathan Lewis
Expert Oracle Database Administration Tom Kyte

would be the correct titles.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Pages: 1
Prev: Complex Select