From: Ravi Srikantiah on
On Jul 13, 4:24 am, "gretzteam" <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of Richard
> Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.
>
> So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas straight
> from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how this
> all works. Number one on this list would be 'Fundamental of Adaptive
> Filtering' by Sayed. I understand this book probably covers everything, but
> I don't think it's very user friendly for a beginner!
>
> Anything out there?
>
> Thanks!

I'd strongly recommend starting with "Adaptive Signal Processing" by
Widrow and Stearns. The math flows easily and it is extremely well
written. For Kalman Filters, I've found the treatment in Haykin is
excellent - it is dealt with from the point of view of an RLS filter.

-Ravi
From: Chris Maryan on
My experience with adaptive filters is limited, but I found Haykin's
Adaptive Filter Theory to be very easy to read and pretty throrough.
Though as another person pointed out, an understanding of linear
algebra beyond lin alg 101 is a must.

Chris
From: Bryan52803 on
>>Hi,
>>I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of
>Richard
>>Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.
>>
>>So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas
>straight
>>from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how
this
>>all works. Number one on this list would be 'Fundamental of Adaptive
>>Filtering' by Sayed. I understand this book probably covers everything,
>but
>>I don't think it's very user friendly for a beginner!
>>
>>Anything out there?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

>That depends on how deep you want to go. If you are interested only in
>simulations, then even Proakis's comms is enough.
>
>But for detailed study, go for Haykin and Sayed. As Steve said, those
>online lectures by Sayed are not that useful. He has another book
Adaptive
>Filters.
>
>Statistical DSP and Modeling by Hayes is also good.
>
>Chintan

I second that; I have "Statistical Digital Signal Processing and Modeling"
by Monson H. Hayes and it's fantastic. It reviews DSP, probability, and
linear algebra to both refresh the reader and introduce the notation to be
used throughout the book. It was great to learn and still a great
reference.

From: Jaime Andrés Aranguren Cardona on
On 13 Jul., 15:11, Ravi Srikantiah <ravi.srikant...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 4:24 am, "gretzteam" <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of Richard
> > Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.
>
> > So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas straight
> > from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how this
> > all works. Number one on this list would be 'Fundamental of Adaptive
> > Filtering' by Sayed. I understand this book probably covers everything, but
> > I don't think it's very user friendly for a beginner!
>
> > Anything out there?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> I'd strongly recommend starting with "Adaptive Signal Processing" by
> Widrow and Stearns. The math flows easily and it is extremely well
> written. For Kalman Filters, I've found the treatment in Haykin is
> excellent - it is dealt with from the point of view of an RLS filter.
>
> -Ravi

Hi,

I have to second Ravi's comment. The book from Widrow/Stearns is easy
to digest and follow. Of course, and as others said, it will
definitely not work without math at all, but Widrow/Stearns seemed to
me to be a good starting point, to grasp the concepts and from there
you can move on to some more "deeper" texts.

It is not that Widrow/Stearns is superficial, just as I said: "easy to
digest and follow".

Regards,

JaaC