From: gretzteam on
Hi,
I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of Richard
Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.

So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas straight
from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how this
all works. Number one on this list would be 'Fundamental of Adaptive
Filtering' by Sayed. I understand this book probably covers everything, but
I don't think it's very user friendly for a beginner!

Anything out there?

Thanks!
From: steveu on
>Hi,
>I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of
Richard
>Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.
>
>So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas
straight
>from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how this
>all works. Number one on this list would be 'Fundamental of Adaptive
>Filtering' by Sayed. I understand this book probably covers everything,
but
>I don't think it's very user friendly for a beginner!

Sayed's books seem well liked. He has a series of lectures on line, but he
seems to struggle to get his point across verbally, so I'm not sure how
useful you might find those.

Steve

From: Rune Allnor on
On 13 Jul, 01:24, "gretzteam" <gretzteam(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of Richard
> Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.

Don't think you will find one. Rick's book is well liked, but
he covers the first gap that DSP layfolk who want or need to
learn *something* about DSP, need to cover.

That reader segment doesn't exist, what adaptive filters are
concerned: Total layfolk will probably be OK with Rick's book,
while people who need to learn adaptive filters will have to
work through the maths anyway.

> So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas straight
> from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how this
> all works.

Well, digital filters *are* about applied maths. If you don't
like the maths, DSP in general and adaptive filters in particular
might not be for you.

I would suspect that authors of DSP texts rely on readers to
be at least superficially familiar with the basics. Linear
algebra and optimization techniques (e.g. conjugated gradients)
ought to be familiar at least as concepts. The closer to the
nuts'n bolts of things you get, the more familiar with the inner
workings of such techniques you need to be.

Rune
From: mobi on
Hi,

I started working on adaptive filters 8 years back with implementation
of the LMS algorithm for echo cancellation using MATLAB having no
clue about the concepts of adaptive filters. Funny, I thought its
easy! Just a filter in loop with changing coefficients.

I got interested in the subject and was introduced to Adaptive filters
by Simon Haykin. At that point in time I thought it was the worst
written book on the subject. Luckily, I watched lecture series from
Prof Gilbert Strang on linear algebra, and found the root cause of the
problem, i.e., superficial knowledge of underlying maths does not
suffice for DSP in general and adaptive filters in particular. During
same time I also enrolled in stochastic processes course, which also
helped a lot. Tried to improve my understanding since, and now 8 years
down the road I got just enough to at the very least appreciate the
beauty of Simon Haykins masterpiece. As for Syeds book, its good,
except the notations, same for Diniz.

So my suggestion is to start with online lectures on linear algebra,
stochastic processes, and basics of optimization to build ur
understanding towards pre-reqs and with in few months u'll be able to
digest any available book on Adaptive filters.

Best

From: cpshah99 on
>Hi,
>I'm looking for a good book on adaptive filtering, in the style of
Richard
>Lyon's 'Understanding digital signal processing'.
>
>So far, everything I've found involves quite complicated formulas
straight
>from page 1, with very little clear and intuitive description of how this
>all works. Number one on this list would be 'Fundamental of Adaptive
>Filtering' by Sayed. I understand this book probably covers everything,
but
>I don't think it's very user friendly for a beginner!
>
>Anything out there?
>
>Thanks!

That depends on how deep you want to go. If you are interested only in
simulations, then even Proakis's comms is enough.

But for detailed study, go for Haykin and Sayed. As Steve said, those
online lectures by Sayed are not that useful. He has another book Adaptive
Filters.

Statistical DSP and Modeling by Hayes is also good.

Chintan