From: Richard on
Folks,

I wonder what the real-world results for turning STMM on, along with
many of the AUTOMATIC memory config parameters that's been introduced
since V9 ? We are turning STMM on in production. There's never enough
traffic or volume of activities in development to get good estimates
and find gotchas. Your experience with this in production settings and
recommendations will get us far.

Thank you in advance.
RL
From: Mark A on
"Richard" <rsl101(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I wonder what the real-world results for turning STMM on, along with
> many of the AUTOMATIC memory config parameters that's been introduced
> since V9 ? We are turning STMM on in production. There's never enough
> traffic or volume of activities in development to get good estimates
> and find gotchas. Your experience with this in production settings and
> recommendations will get us far.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> RL

Only a donkey would use STMM.

IBM introduced STMM as a way to convince customer executives that DB2 needs
less expertise than other databases because it is self-tuning (or at least a
lot less expertise than needed by previous versions of DB2). This is
supposed to lower the cost of ownership. The reality is 100% opposite of the
claims.

If you want to use STMM, I would recommend that you use 9.7.2. Doesn't work
well in 9.5 and can crash your system, although I think 9.5.5 may be
noticeably better than previous fixpacks. Personally, I think STMM is
worthless anyway and I recommend that it be turned off (default is on for
new databases). If you do use STMM, and end up in a mental institution,
don't blame me.

One other thing. If you intend to take any DB2 certification exams, they
will ask you a bunch of questions about STMM that not even the DB2 STMM
developers would know the answers to.

From: Richard on
Thanks for your input.
How about the AUTOMATIC database memory - the close cousin to STMM,
how do they fair in real production ?

RL
From: Mark A on
> Thanks for your input.
> How about the AUTOMATIC database memory - the close cousin to STMM,
> how do they fair in real production ?
>
> RL

Automatic settings are generally recommended, and I have seen no problems
with it.

From: ajstorm on
On Jun 14, 10:11 am, "Mark A" <no...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> "Richard" <rsl...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks for your input.
> > How about the AUTOMATIC database memory - the close cousin to STMM,
> > how do they fair in real production ?
>
> > RL
>
> Automatic settings are generally recommended, and I have seen no problems
> with it.

In general, I'd say that STMM is recommended both in test and in
production. We have thousands of customers happily running STMM in
production and have hit only a hand-full of issues. If you don't
believe me, here are some of our customer quotes around STMM:

"The self tuning memory manager (STMM) technology we now consider a
"must have". We don't let one database go live without this feature
enabled. STMM saves us 1 month of manual adjustments to the memory
model and the fact that it works across instances really helps us
consolidate databases and get the most out of our servers." - Canadian
Department of National Defence

"STMM in DB2 is rock solid, no matter how many transactions our
customers throw at DB2 it just auto configures and hums along." - TMW
Systems

"We are very impressed with the performance improvements achieved with
the DB2 Self-Tuning Memory Manager (STMM). Reports that took two to
three minutes to extract before are now extracted in less than 10
seconds!" - Automatos

Mark, it might help if you outline specific issues that you've hit
with STMM. The vagueness of your response leaves more questions than
answers. For instance, why do you say that STMM in DB2 9.5 can "crash
your system"?

Thanks,
Adam