From: taracc on
Since purchase of this computer Windows has never been able to check for
updates, it gives "unknown error code" 80070490.

All of my other products can update, is there any hope for me?
From: Ǝиçεl on
Copied яesponse from MowGreen [MVP]

MowGreen 11/10/2009 7:17 PM PST

For Beginners and Intermediate Users -

1) You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>

> This issue may occur if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest.

a) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212>

b) Download, save, and then run the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

c) > To resolve this issue, you must perform a repair installation of
Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
> Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the installation DVD.

For Advanced Users or The Fearless -

2) How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
<http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx>

3) Update manually. Security updates are issued the second Tuesday of
the month.
Non-security Windows updates are issued the fourth Tuesday of the month.
A list of all update content by month:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update Services
changes in content for 2010
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199>

*** Be wary of installing NON-essential software *** that will then have to
be updated when a vulnerability is discovered in them.

Ex: Windows Desktop Search; Silverlight; etc.

MowGreen
======

OR

Here is the thread which has many potential steps you may try for the issue
related to the same:

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=c87c2e31-ed1f-447a-838d-3afc249659f8&mid=c87c2e31-ed1f-447a-838d-3afc249659f8>
-=-

From: Shenan Stanley on
taracc wrote:
> Since purchase of this computer Windows has never been able to
> check for updates, it gives "unknown error code" 80070490.
>
> All of my other products can update, is there any hope for me?

Operating System?
Service Pack level?
Was this a *used* computer?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
• Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running

• Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Richard A. Schwartz - Avanade on
For the many affected that are scouring the Net for a solution to this
problem there is hope! After much digging I found the "System Update
Readiness Tool for Windows" (REF:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us).

After installing this tool / update on a Vista SP1 x86 installation I was
able to download the > 90 updates available. Please note that the fix took
some time to complete and I rebooted the affected machine before downloading
and installing the delta updates.

Hope this is helpful!

Richard A. Schwartz

Sr. Consultant, Avanade Inc.